Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

windows in complex profile wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha,
I am creating bowed or arched wall based on a complex profile that I've created.
I'm having two problems with the bowed wall. The windows placed in the wall do not match the arch of the wall (see image below). The other problem is where the arched wall intersects another wall.
Please let me know if there are ways to get the windows to lay flat in an arched wall like this and if there is a way for complex profile walls like this to intersect cleanly with straight walls.
18 REPLIES 18
David Maudlin
Rockstar
John:

I would try this as a general approach:
1. Convert the windows to Empty Openings
2. Measure the angle of the Empty Opening at each window height (this angle changes as the height along the curved wall changes)
3. Place a Slanted Wall of this angle in each Empty Opening, the wall being the size of the opening
4. Place your windows in these Slanted Walls
The windows will follow the Slanted Walls at the correct angle at each opening, and you can adjust the thickness of the Slanted Walls to get the the trim in the right spots. It won't be perfect, but good enough at 1/4" scale.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
John:

I would try this as a general approach:
1. Convert the windows to Empty Openings
2. Measure the angle of the Empty Opening at each window height (this angle changes as the height along the curved wall changes)
3. Place a Slanted Wall of this angle in each Empty Opening, the wall being the size of the opening
4. Place your windows in these Slanted Walls
The windows will follow the Slanted Walls at the correct angle at each opening, and you can adjust the thickness of the Slanted Walls to get the the trim in the right spots. It won't be perfect, but good enough at 1/4" scale.

David
Aloha David,
That sounds brilliant. From your image it looks like it works. I'm going to try now.
How did you hide the slanted walls?
Do you have a suggestion on how to get the intersections of the walls (complex profile to straight wall) to resolve in 3D and elevations?
Mahalo,
John
David Maudlin
Rockstar
johncassel wrote:
How did you hide the slanted walls?
Do you have a suggestion on how to get the intersections of the walls (complex profile to straight wall) to resolve in 3D and elevations?
Since the slanted walls are the same size as the windows, they are completely hidden by the window so won't show in any view.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha David,
Thanks for the explanation about the slanted walls.
Mahalo,
John
David Maudlin
Rockstar
johncassel wrote:
As long as the slanted wall is the same size (width and height) as the Empty Opening, there should not be an issue. If there is, then post some images to illustrate the problem.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
johncassel wrote:
As long as the slanted wall is the same size (width and height) as the Empty Opening, there should not be an issue. If there is, then post some images to illustrate the problem.

David
Aloha David,
This is a different problem from the windows in the complex wall. Your solution for the windows works. Thank you.
The problem that I'm addressing here is at the corner of the complex wall and the intersecting straight wall. You can see the problem in the second and third images that I posted in this thread. The corner of the two walls do not resolve properly.
Please let me know if there is a solution to this problem.
Thank you for your help.
John
David Maudlin
Rockstar
John:

Works here, wall reference lines are on the exterior edges, and they meet at the bottom of the walls. This is from AC 11.

David
Window_in_curved_Wall_axon.gif
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, David.

...John (and David...and all readers)... please post ONE topic per thread with a subject line that reflects the topic. If you have further discussion of this issue of joining a complex profiled walls cleanly, please start a new thread with that as a subject so that other readers can find it. 😉

Thanks and cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
John:

Works here, wall reference lines are on the exterior edges, and they meet at the bottom of the walls. This is from AC 11.

David
David,
Thanks for encouraging me to try it again. I created a new set of walls and they joined/intersected perfectly.
A fun aspect of this is that if I switch the Construction Method (control line side) from right to left the wall goes from convex to concave. That is going to be very handy for creating/designing some crazy shaped walls.

Karl,
Whoops, sorry. Next time I'll separate out the questions into separate threads right from the beginning.

Mahalo,
John