BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Work with existing Elements and Data management / controlling

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello I'm quite new to working with Grasshopper,

so I have some questions.

1. After some research I think I understand that at the moment it is not possible to change the Data or Parameters of Elements that already in Archicad exist via GH (without detour with Excel) is that correct?

2. Online I often found Tutorials for creating new and parametric buildings with GH, but I want to use it for Data management and controlling of already created elements like you can in Revit with Dynamo. Can I do workflows like this in GH?

For example, I want to check if Walls with the material Concrete is on the right Layer and the setting for structural function correct. Or the other way around.

3. A little like Question 2: Can you filter or search for Elements in ACAD via Grasshopper? Like give me all Walls on the second floor with the thickness YX?

Thanks, Larissa
1 REPLY 1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Connection never modifies already created elements the way ARCHICAD does. If an ARCHICAD element was created by Grasshopper, and the Grasshopper source changes, then the previously created instance is deleted and a new instance is created.
You can see this by creating a Wall with Grasshopper, and dimensioning it. The dimension will be associated to that Wall instance.
If you modify some parameters in Grasshopper, the Wall is removed, along with its associated dimension, and a new Wall instance created.

I think most (probably not everything) of what you want to do could be done using the Find & Select Palette and/or with Graphic Overrides.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!