Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Best BIM Resources?

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Here's a question for all the people with a lot of BIM experience, or even people who have been delving into BIM more recently. What are the best BIM resources you've found? Any 'real-world' comments on the following books would be welcome, but I wonder what else can be recommended?:

BIM and Construction Management: Proven Tools, Methods, and Workflows (April 2009) by Brad Hardin.

BIG BIM little bim Second Edition (June 2008) by Finith Jernigan, AIA.

Building Information Modeling: Planning and Managing Construction Projects with 4D CAD and Simulations (April 2008) by Willem Kymmell.

Green BIM: Successful Sustainable Design with Building Information Modeling (April 2008) by Eddy Krygiel and Bradley Nies.

BIM Handbook: A Guide to Building Information Modeling for Owners, Managers, Designers (March 2008) by Chuck Eastman, Paul Teicholz, Rafael Sacks, and Kathleen Liston.

Journal of Building information Modeling (JBIM)

Cheers,
Link.
11 REPLIES 11
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
I read "BIG BIM little bim" last year -- the BIG BIM is really IPD (Integrated Project Delivery) -- and the message made throughout the book is that we (as a profession) need to "make every possible decision, as early in the process as possible." The author, Finith Jernigan, is an ArchiCAD user (or his firm is an AC firm, anyway).

I'm half-way through the "BIM Handbook" -- it's basically a text book on all-things BIM -- very thorough. What I find most interesting so far is that even though the authors have been working with BIM (or the theory of BIM) since the mid-70's, they still find BIM very much in its infancy. Throughout the book they state all the things that BIM "can do", but end almost every section with"but the state of the industry is not at a level "to do this" yet. It makes you realize that there are so many potential applications for BIM, that no one software can address all the applications, and how very important interoperability will be (because it's not "there" yet).
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Dwight
Newcomer
If this was automobiles, it would be the 1920's
Dwight Atkinson
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Dwight wrote:
If this was automobiles, it would be the 1920's
Yes -- there is the BIM hype, the BIM reality, and the need (for us) to manage expectations.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I've started another thread here for the discussion of BIM's present situation. If we could keep this discussion purely for the discussion of BIM resources, we could continue to have two focused BIM related topics.

Cheers guys,
Link.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Since last I wrote... I finished the "BIM Handbook" -- a very realistic look at BIMs role in the AEC industry.

I've read "Buidling Information Modeling: Planning and Managing Construction Projects with 4D CAD and Simulations" by Willem Kymmell. This is more-of-a-construction-management take on BIM from a scholastic viewpoint. It's a worthwhile read, and makes one wonder if Graphisoft wouldn't have been better off if they had held on to Constructor.

I'm half way through "Building Information Modeling: A Strategic Implementation Guide for Architects, Engineers, Constructors, and Real Estate Asset Managers" by Dana K. Smith, Michael Tardif -- it covers just about everything that should be considered before implementing BIM, including the necessary process and cultural changes that must occur for implementation to be successful. This is really a must-read for those making (or have made) the decision to go to BIM who know next-to-nothing about technology (i.e the Partners in a firm) -- a proactive guide for managing expectations.

What's funny is: I purchase these books hot-of-the-press, and by the time I've finished reading them, they're out-of-date. To keep current on the limitations and advantages of the different BIM applications, you'll need to explore elsewhere.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,

We have an extensive list of BIM resources on our blog at:
http://www.digitalvis.com/allroads/blog_resources

Cheers,

Caitlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very nice bunch or resources there!
I hope to be able to contribute our experiences in BIM land to the pool some time (just as soon as I get out from under this rock that one of the principals is actually making bigger with his promises/marketing on BIM deliverables)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

i found a survey about BIM on the bottom of the page:
http://www.nibs.org/enews/2011January.html
rob2218
Enthusiast
this is an interesting thread.
I'd like to see how we can update it.
perhaps continue along the discussions of "where is BIM 'really' today'.....
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS