Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Building Materials - naming new ones with different priorities

Sandramuller
Contributor

I just spend ages fixing junctions in plan and sections where I had to create duplicate BMs and give it higher or lower priorities.

I am wondering whether to bring this into our office template and adding in the name the priorities  number.

How did other  deal with this?

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

If you find you need the duplicate building materials then do add them to your template.

That means you won't have to create them in every file and you will have consistency with the attribute index numbers - which is very important if you copy/paste from one file to another.

You can give them unique names like 'plaster internal', 'plaster external' or 'plaster side 1', 'plaster side 2' - but that does not always make sense when using them.

So yes it is a good idea to include the strength number itself in the name - 'plaster 400', 'plaster 500', etc.

That way when you use it, you now what else it will or will not cut.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

Regarding wall junctions, it is sometimes easier to just use a complex column...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

I use the columns as well I just find the issue.that the automatic zones are not working anymore because they can't  read the columns  a bit of an issue

We're going off topic here, but columns are best avoided as a solution, although I recently read you can place the column within the walls to retain the zone boundary. I haven't had a reason to test that yet.

Here's an old but still current in-built solution using PATCHES

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

This was resolved in 27?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

I just had this issue recently (version 25). Helpline could not sort it out.

Can you share how to fix this issue?

Thank you

The basic principle is if your zone is surrounded by walls with intersecting baselines you can create an automatic boundary by clicking in the space. If you add a column on the boundary or at the junction then the area of the column projecting into the space can be deducted with a zone update.

If you apply real world construction thinking and stop the walls at the point they meet the column then the automatic zone boundary will not work. This still applies to AC27.

There may be implications for Quantities or IFC export, but for basic modelling it should offer a solution when using Complex profiles at junctions.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)