Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

File size

ananas
Advocate

Hi.

I am a bit confused how to optimize Archicad files.

I have followed this article: How to optimize a project's file size - Graphisoft Community

and deleted everything, but the used Atributes.The file reduced from 1 000 MB to 400 MB, but I think this is still too much (since there is only 1 floor of a building in the file, without any layouts, moduls etc)
It seems like there have to be more leftovers. If I copy the elements to a new fresh Archicad template file a file gets much smaller and includes all the atributes as the original (purged) Archicad file.

What are your thoughts on this?

file size comparison.png
9 REPLIES 9
Lingwisyer
Guru

Check your embedded library.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
DGSketcher
Legend

Bitmap images can bloat a file. They may be custom textures in attributes, 3D views added to layouts, or hiding in plain sight as title block logos.

I assume if you have a clean file you don’t have any external pdf or dwg references active.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Yes, I have deleted everything, all the images, library, I purged all the materials and I just left one floor.

I have a feeling, when we design and paste millions of different things in Archicad, there are some leftovers also after deleting ...

I have copied this one floor in a new Archicad template (which has more layouts, materials etc - not purged yet) and the file is much much smaller.

Have you found your answer?

When you place an item into your file from an external source, all of the required attributes will come along with it, as well as it being added to your library in the case of objects. If you then delete the said item from the floor plan, any attributes and libary files will be retained.

Though a bit inconvenient, when bring in drawings, models or objects into your file from third parties, it is sometimes a good idea to first bring it into a clean file. In this way you can sort of vet the drawing or object for unwanted attributes in order to prevent polution of your project file.

Ling.

Thank you for your explanation.
So you would suggest, we first import  files from third parties to a new clean Archicad file and from there we choose it again and copy into the desired Archicad file?

Depends on how studious you want to be at keeping your file clean, and how much you trust these 3rd party things to not pollute.

Depending on the project, there may even be the option of purging your file if it gets polluted then re-importing your attributes from your template or your projects attribute file, if you are using one.

Hi!

yes, kind of. I have reduced my file a lot, but even after purging all and delete all necessary, the file is still very very big.

I would just try to always draw very clean and not import too much unnecessary things at first place.

I might also need a bit more powerful computer to handle these heavy files and will be ok 🙂

ananas
Advocate

Hi!

I am coming back to the topic 🙂
So I have deleted everything out, layouts, libraries, purged everything, but the file is still very big. It reduced from 1.1GB to 400MB
If I copy whole model to another fresh file, the file is much smaller: 20MB.

What I learned is to simply void importing too much things, because they somehow stay in the file, even after deleting.

Would anyone be willing to check my Archicad file? I would send it on private.
Tnx,