Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Hotlinks?....auto-updating? is that possible?

rob2218
Enthusiast
In this new office I'm at...they have a "method" if we can call it that...of using lower lowest stories to place their condo unit types on. Again...I'm always learning new things with this program so...perhaps this is a valid way to use "hotlinks" to maintain ALL information in the same Teamwork file....so...with that said....here's the question:

Q. How can I get the "hotlinks" (which are essentially different stories from the same TW file) hotlinked as MOD's into the specific story levels to 'UPDATE' automatically?

what's happening is that once a "change/revision" is made to that particular hotlink MOD file (which again is simply information on a story that's very LOW in the story setting levels) I have to go to the Hotlink Manager, see which is the outdated hotlink and "UPDATE" that hotlink.

How can I set the TW file to "Auto-update" All hotlinks all the time?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
11 REPLIES 11
NandoMogollon
Expert
Haven't checked this lately... but try this ( See Pic)
Hotlinks autoupdate.JPG
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks....I would suspect that this setting change would "update hotlinks" automatically?
I hope.

Now...question: Is this a "work environment" (your PC) setting or a global Teamwork setting?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
NandoMogollon
Expert
just plain Work Environment.

Haven't checked the BIM Server settings, have you tried that?
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
rob2218
Enthusiast
In this office.....I'm not privy to the BIM Server (Bim Manager) settings...at least not YET!...but I will be.

I'll have to ask the (ahem) BIM manager about those settings.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think the Autoupdate happens only when you open the Project File that has changed Hotlinked Modules in them.
The fastest way would probably be to jsut go to the Hotlink Manager and you will see in the Status column which placed Modules have changed. Then you can update those in the Hotlink Manager.

If I remember correctly, in a Teamworked environment you can reserve the Hotlink Manager Dialog if your User Role allows it. Then you can make the update in the Hotlink Manager.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Generally nothing happens automagically- you have to be in the loop which is actually a good thing
You might get stuck with refreshes every time someone else autos aves a hot linked file!

Be warned though its not always seamless. At the moment I have multiple team worked buildings in one standalone site file via hotlink. If anyone is in one of the source files it fails, so I only can refresh at beginning and end of the day.
rob2218
Enthusiast
hum.....maybe then I should rethink my strategy.
I understand that it might be better to "force" the hotlink when and where you need it...but...I also realize that it's a PITA to have to go to the hotlink manager....EACH and EVERY TIME to see the latest and greatest....

i'll have to do some pondering on this one.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
hum.....maybe then I should rethink my strategy.
I understand that it might be better to "force" the hotlink when and where you need it...but...I also realize that it's a PITA to have to go to the hotlink manager....EACH and EVERY TIME to see the latest and greatest....

i'll have to do some pondering on this one.
Are your hotlinks actually self referential? Since I have always either published hotlinks to module files or linked to other project models I have no direct experience with your situation. With the methods I have used a notice comes up whenever I do an explicit/manual save telling me that the linked files have changed an asking whether to update them. This is how I usually update my links. I imagine that if the file is actually hotlinked to itself that wouldn't work.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Yes... Matthew.
Hotlinks are indeed "self referenced".
some dude from Hungary told this office that in order to "expedite" and speed up their model..they should create "story levels" that reside below the final "ground" or any basement story levels and that's where you'd place the "typical unit" designed. then you would 'hotlink' (self referenced) typical unit story settings into the upper (story 6,7,8..etc..) stories but yes...the hotlinks ARE self referenced from within the same TW file....somewhat weird but hey...who am I to judge except someone who has been working in depth with this software for 7 years now.....
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!