Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Large drawing file of a building with many smaller projects

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just upgraded from AC12 to AC14 and the BIM server. I am about to start working for a client with a large (1M SF) building and I will, hopefully, have many small projects within it. How do I keep each project separated so that I can do complete project documents without having a crippling number of layers.

I under stand that I should consider using linked instead of embedded libraries. I don't know if hot linking will let me create floor/ceiling plans, elevations, schedules, etc. for each individual project.

Thanks
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks.

From what I saw of the screen shot, you have module stories for individual elements of each of the unit modules as well, like kitchens and bathrooms. So you really need to have a good sense during schematic design of the types and quantities of units you will need.... then double it.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes, quite often we will nest kitchen and laundry modules into our unit modules all within the 'module' file, using the same .mod publishing method. Then we publish out the unit files to place in the 'master'. There's an added benefit of being able to update those nested kitchens and laundries in the 'master' file without needing to update the unit modules.

As far as planning for the amount of stories, it's really quite easy. We just add twice as many as we think we'll need and if they don't get used they don't get used. Until GS fixes their bug, we can always add more later to the top or bottom.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,
If you have time this week, I might ask you some specific questions regarding your solution using modules and stories. We are trying to come up with a method to keep using building projects files with their unique story settings and blend them into a context model while not having the stories blow apart. We commonly, hotlink single stories from the various files into a host context file. We may still be stuck here, but we want to make sure that there are not other creative ways to accomplish this, better for our circumstances.

thanks, Jim Walls
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Sure I've been out of the picture for a while, but I think the process is the same, if not improved.

You may also want to check out the screencasts at http://www.screenr.com/user/linkellis to get a better understanding.

The process is pretty solid and we used it on very large (and small) projects.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,
thank you for your link to the screencasts. I have to digest the methodology a little. At the moment I have a some disconnect to how I can take a advantage of it in regard to bringing in multi-story hotlinks (whole buildings). We have been publishing mod files for a while and found the benefit tremendous. I like the usage of story clones and publish templates.

I gather that the height settings of the standby stories can be edited. BUT the repercussions of messing up the heights of the stories above can be a bad thing when doing so.

jim
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,
Regarding your comment: Here's a couple of screencasts from our blog that may help explain our moduling concept:

Part 1 of 2: Creating and Publishing Modules

Part 2 of 2: Placing and Updating Modules

the link to Part 2 did not work for me….is that screen cast still available ?

Very helpful info !!

Regards,
David
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Sadly that one is missing. Perhaps someone downloaded it, but I no longer have a copy of it.

The most important part was in the first part: how to create the modules. The second part showed how to place them into the master project and update them, etc.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
To bad. Perhaps whom-ever downloaded it will see this post and make it available to everyone again. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
David
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Link,

We are tossing in between the two methods multi-storey hotlinks vs our current method (separate HLM files for units and kitchen/bathroom module). In using multi-storey hotlinks, we seem to be looking at a bigger size file as all information is combined into one file. Wouldn't this have a certain risk when the project becomes complex and the larger size file might slow down the documentation process? Current average file size we have for main file is 200-250Mb and Units module file 150-200Mb. We tested the multi story modules within main file for one of our current projects. The file size is already over 310Mb by 50% documentation stage, and we start having some troubles with some elevations. Have you come across this issue by any chance?
Thanks.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
We found that publishing single story modules was superior in every way, including file size. But there is always going to be a point where a file gets too big, although I wouldnt have thought 300Mb is that point.

It obviously depends on what specs your computers and BIM server are. Perhaps your hardware is letting you down?

Also are you hiding taps and knobs in model view options and lowering your polygon count sensibly? Maybe there's uneccessary overhead there?

Cheers,
Link.