cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Make 2D graphic follow an elevation change... possible?

Jimmy Vikstrand
Participant

In all of my projects I always use 2D graphics in sections and facade views. It could be people, trees, lines of grass, lines for land, text and arrows for descriptions and so on. Sometimes when the project is almost at its end (or earlier), I have to change the elevation of the building in story settings... the problem is that the 2D graphic doesn´t follow the change of height, I need to do this manually in all affected views.

Is there a setting or workaround to make the 2d graphic that I want to follow the move with the change of elevation? Or will I continue to be punished in the future for every change of elevation?

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based Sonoma 14.5

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

No, 2D elements are not linked to storey heights.

The question is why are you adjusting the storey heights?

If you are tweaking individual storey floor to floor levels, then that is fine and there is nothing you can do except adjust the 2D elements, and also the 3D elements if they are not linked to the storeys.

Try to do it as early in the project as possible before you start adding 2D annotation.

But if you are leaving the storey floor to floor levels as they are, but adjusting them all up or down the same amount (effectively moving the entire building up or down), you don't need to do that as there will be no change to your model. You can use reference levels if you need to set heights above a datum.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I´m not tweaking floors individually, I adjust them all up or down the same amount to let the building land on the correct level (height over sea level) for elevation dimensions to be correct, to get new and old ground lines correct out from my mesh, to see how my building fits in the terrain etc. And when I do so I also want all the other 2D graphic to follow along no matter how high or low I adjust the building(s). I don´t know how other archicad user work but I don´t always know what level the residence should be at and I´m happy to be able to adjust that afterwards... but I do also want my graphics to come along and avoid having to sit and adjust afterwards.

But there is no way to connect 2D elements to storey heights or from ground zero? If I put a line in a section or fasade then it´s more or less locked there?

yes, by adding a small bit of gdl code,

you can have it match the story settings (done all the time in my company).

you can have it static, floor 0  or floor 1 , or have a drop down to  select a particular floor

n = REQUEST ("Story", "", index, story_name)

or

n = REQUEST ("Story_info", expr, nStories,
index1, name1, elev1, height1 [,
index2, name2, ...])

and then

add2 0, 0-SYMB_POS_Y+elev1

it sets the bottom of the object at the height of the story level 1

I have been using ArchiCAD continually since ArchiCAD 4.5, 4.5.5, 5, 5.1, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 21, 22, 25, now testing 27
Member of Architalk since 2003, but missed the migration to Graphisoft.
(where have all my original posts gone?)

@Jimmy Vikstrand wrote:

But there is no way to connect 2D elements to storey heights or from ground zero? If I put a line in a section or fasade then it´s more or less locked there?

There is no need to.

If you are moving the entire model up or down, don't.

You can set reference levels and Sea Level in Options menu > Project Preferences.

Leave your ground storey at zero height to floor.

Set your Sea Level reference to minus actual floor level (i.e -10000).

Now your level dimensions can all be referenced from Sea Level and the should show the actual level required.

If you have a 3D mesh for you site, all of the contour levels can be based on sea level, or you can simply move the mesh up and down to where you need it.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

@AllanP wrote:

yes, by adding a small bit of gdl code,

Jimmy was talking about lines and annotation drawn in elevation, not objects.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Setup info provided by author