Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

PROPERTIES: Issues just getting started

Aurasphere
Expert

Well after decades using listing...one of the best but cubmersome features, I am trying to migrate stuff to using properties which the first couple of tuts...well it couldnt do it without fudging eg Room Illumination...but thats another issue (you CANNOT easily run priced BOQ from properties

I am simply trying to do the following but Im not getting something about the flow of datatypes and its certainly not obvious or friendly from my perspective but maybe its the siltation from listings

1. I choose area datatype and do a basic if statement to extract gross site area from a zone

Aurasphere_1-1707368027860.png

Error!

Aurasphere_0-1707367974466.png

Mark Wesse
AC26 | Win10 | Since v6.5r
Architerion - Architectural Systems Developer
Aurasphere - Acoustics
Building Biology - Human Compatible Architecture
"--- Every time...do it better ---"

23 REPLIES 23

Thank @poco2013 

but Im not multiplying?...or which image did you mean. I screen grabbed after trying a lot of diff ways...

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

poco2013
Mentor

At the very end of your calculation , you add a 1 m2 to convert a raw number to area. Should be a multiplication. )*1m2

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

Barry had it as '/' implying any dyadic operator? And that seemed to work for the other examples....now this is getting...hmm

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

A volume divided by a volume (1m³) will leave you with just a number (no units).

A volume divided by an area (1m²) will leave you with a length (m)

A volume divided by a length (1m) will leave you with an area (m²).

The only reason I used the unit (m³), is because I was just using the number 1, and had to define what unit it was.

If your expression is ... volume/length ... then you do not need the units, as the properties already know what units they are.

So this will give you an area, and so long as the data type is set to area, all will be fine.

Likewise volume/area will give you length, so set your data type to length as that is what the expression will output.

I hope I explained that OK.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11