Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

PROPERTIES: Issues just getting started

Aurasphere
Expert

Well after decades using listing...one of the best but cubmersome features, I am trying to migrate stuff to using properties which the first couple of tuts...well it couldnt do it without fudging eg Room Illumination...but thats another issue (you CANNOT easily run priced BOQ from properties

I am simply trying to do the following but Im not getting something about the flow of datatypes and its certainly not obvious or friendly from my perspective but maybe its the siltation from listings

1. I choose area datatype and do a basic if statement to extract gross site area from a zone

Aurasphere_1-1707368027860.png

Error!

Aurasphere_0-1707367974466.png

Mark Wesse
AC26 | Win10 | Since v6.5r
Architerion - Architectural Systems Developer
Aurasphere - Acoustics
Building Biology - Human Compatible Architecture
"--- Every time...do it better ---"

23 REPLIES 23

Expressions do have a couple of string handling functions to make the conversion easier, but formatting the expression  to obey all the rules, can be very cumbersome and confusing. A much easier approach and perfect for calculating illumination considering different types of bulbs and different room criteria is to use a Python script which can address all properties and account for all criteria. The downside of Python scripts is that they are manually initiated and can not write to the schedules. You can, however, create and format a external schedule and then copy/paste that into Archicad layouts as a figure. Again a manual operation. Not quite what you want. i think we all miss the versatility of the List schedules

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

The room illumination issue wont be fixed with python because the api is so limited and as far as I know is also missing the info to make it work...properly. Try using glazed doors and differentiating them to contribute to the illumination...to start with.

My point about lists is nothing like illumination...I had fully priced BOQ with orders running out of archicad as well as direct write to text file linked into builders orders and account database...there are no new tools even come close to replacing it. Pity...i first saw a German project using it which inspired me and spent a couple of years doing it...anyway...is what it is. Full pricing updates done in excel, written to the costings text file that archicad was using....soo good.

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

poco2013
Mentor

Obviously,I am not understanding your question. I mentioned illumination because you did. But i recognize that your aim in calculation is not what I  had assumed. I only mentioned the same since i did created a illumination application years ago to calculate room illumination and power usage based on industry standards. - a simple task with the limitations noted above. I should also point out that everything that is available to the C++ API is also available to the Python API, abet with degrees of effort, which is the "rub". Obviously, Python can not calculate the illumination through glass because that info is not available to Archicad. (unless,of course, that info is embedded in the GSM object). However, Python does have easy read/write access to excel files, SQL/JSON databases  and has its own native GUI (tkinter) ability. But it has limited or no ability to write to Archicad other than through custom properties, which is also by design by Graphisoft.  Perhaps, more info would help us and Graphisoft understand your requirements?

Gerry

Sounds like a great app that you did.

My point was more about things appearing great but when you start drilling the detail...well they can appear 'half baked'

Im not a great programmer but more about creating the abstract principles of operation based on overview...

With the api, I believe the C++ has access to a lot more...what I have seen of Python...it seems to be quite limited

eg I want to create a simple toggle to switch MVO?

Nothing to get to it.

The legacy listing is perfect although a WYSIWG editor for the graphic formatting would have made it a much bigger success

Cheers and thanks for the interest

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

Aurasphere
Expert

So what about the other way around?

Im trying to create a number but part of the expression is volume...why is this error happening...do I have to cast it somehow?

Aurasphere_0-1707886278114.png

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

If you want the output to be a number, then you have to convert your volume to a number by dividing it by 1m³.

BarryKelly_0-1707887828976.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks again Barry; appreciate it.

And everyone is ok with this???...Ive done a lot of languages but this is...well just crazy... forces me to go back to GDL/Listing. Its just madness 😞

Let everything be an FP and convert on output...seriously.

I would have words to the devs after the usual path of passing it on to newbs for evaluation and testing...right?

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

Back to gdl...except it looks like you can interrogate sub components of a complex wall in the schedules...but only front and rear...or components but seems no way in GDL???

Has anyone actually used of this for serious scheduling

eg Masonry is calculated on volume

I need to interrogate every element that contains a particular masonry building element volume

Then do the calcs to get unit numbers...

EDIT: On top of that, if the wall is a custom complex profile, then there is no name for the sub components...why?

Aurasphere_0-1707888768436.png

GDL:

Aurasphere_1-1707892468904.png

Anyone?

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

Sorry I dont mean to be rude in any way...just so frustrated that simple stuff is so overly complex and has not been factored down by good abstract design

Im actually just trying to get the surface area of a sub component in complex wall but looks like its not going to be simple...of course Im missing something but like I said...why is it not refined?

So in this case below, why would it still be in error?

Aurasphere_0-1707951290287.png

and based on the logic of the example provided, here ie target = area, therefore I need to divide by 1m3 (as unit) and then convert that to m2 for target format?

Aurasphere_1-1707951644584.png

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

poco2013
Mentor

I believe your missing a multiplication sign between your cal and 1 m

Gerry