Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Project Info import and export options

Miha_M
Advisor

Dear GS, I have one simple (?) wish. We work in a open BIM enabled environment and exchange data between different software. I would be very very happy if I could import some project info data from an external .xls or .xlsx source; now only a .xml data structure is available for import.

We use excel spreadsheets with many formulas and some databases for managing project data, from which we generate ISO 19650 conventions conform project data (naming rules, other in-house standardized data, etc.). If possible, I would like to export a sample data structure from Archicad to excel, upon which I would be able to build a dedicated speadsheet. From this spreadsheet, which pulls elsewhere generated data and structures it into an Archicad scheme, this data could be imported back to Archicad.

Additional, an import dialogue could allow users to see existing data vs. imported data, where an option to select or deselect data entries to be overwritten - maybe Project Info data could be accessible and editable through the Attribute Manager UI?

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

12 REPLIES 12
poco2013
Mentor

Sounds a lot like the Archicad export schedule to excel feature. What do you need to do differently??

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Miha_M
Advisor

Exactly. What is different is that the Project Info data export/import feature doesn't support the .xls Excel filetype.

Miha_M_0-1674738625507.jpeg

| Archicad 4.55 - 27

poco2013
Mentor

Excel does accept XML files as a database file. But I expect the process is more trouble than worth.

i expect that it would be be more effective to skip the excel import and just use a xml editor, xmlspy is a popular one.  You could export and duplicate a typical (template) file and just overwrite the entries as needed. Adding entries is tricky as Archicad uses a unusual protocol.

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Miha_M
Advisor

More trouble then worth, I tried it myself. Well, the workaround with an .xml editor is possible, but my main goal can't be reached this way. As I have written in my wish I would like to get outside of Archicad (excel worksheet based on internal database, rules and formulas) generated information imported back into Archicad Project Info. For me this would be one additional data transformation from excel to .xml and as you found out yourself the Archicad protocol is a bit unusual. I am nowhere near a capable data transformation expert and have limited knowledge about the xml structure, so this workaround route for me is out of reach.

As the Project Info has a simple table structure I believe it shouldn't be that difficult to implement an additional .xls or .xlsx translation process, as this functionality has already been implemented into schedules.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27

Francois_MCD
Expert

Great question @Miha_M thanks for posting it. I fully understand why you ask for this.

Some time ago I also posted a wish for the same aspect, but for a different (additional) reason.
Wishes - New Feature Request for BIMx (Project Info control) 

What I suggest is better control of project info directly INSIDE Archicad, because we experience TOO MANY .xml file corruption errors exporting & importing Info sets. These persistent errors cause a lot of delays, especially during Publishing in extremely tight deadlines. The exporting & importing Info sets process is buggy and we can not trust it.

I am keen to see what comes out of this thread...

Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course

We have used XML Notepad which is easy enough and gives a reasonably simple way of handling ProjectInfo entries.

We think it works well and solves some of our problems.

Still, a better way of handling ProjectInfo - including the possibility to map in IFC as been discussed in other threads.

Erik Bjornhage : SwedishChef, ETTELVA Arkitekter, Gothenburg, Sweden
Architect : Digital Development : Graphisoft Cert. BIM-Manager
ETTELVA Arkitekter : Eriks LinkedIn
DELL Precision 5570; i7-12700H; 64 GB; RTX A2000 [8GB] : AC12 - future
JeffH
Enthusiast

I have a different end goal...but would also like the ability to adjust Project Info much more than currently allowed.

Currently, we are trying out having all of our typical Section notes already established, and then using basic autotext for Wall Sections & Details where we can't pull everything directly from the model (Building Materials or element ID's).

The massive benefit here is that we change a note in this single "Project Info" location, and all the autotexted labels will update for the entire project.

JeffH_0-1687815048023.png

Unfortunately, I cant Create an additional header for each division, so "Building Details" ends up containing what will be a massive amount of typical pre-established notes.

AC24 / AC26
Win10

I have not tried this, so can't say if it will work well or not.

Have you tried using Properties?

You can create groups of properties and you can even associate properties with particular classifications (or simply associate all of them).

Your properties can even be an option list where you can choose from pre-set options.

Properties can also be exported/imported between files (and of course set them up in your template).

Then label using the properties instead of the project info.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Interesting indeed @JeffH 
Note these suggested options with images (below) for expanding Project Info on my post: Wishes - New Feature Request for BIMx (Project Info control) 

As we solve Property Compliance for owners, landlords & their tenants, we use BIMx as an easy to use, entry level platform to access their "Digital Twin" for various stakeholders that each need to have an applicable level of access to info in the model. I believe control of "Project Info" visibility is not that far removed from where Graphisoft is taking BIMx looking at the exciting roadmap & recent BIMx improvements. Properties does not work in this case. I remain hopeful... have not given up on my posted wish for improved Project Info.

Constantly importing / exporting various Project Info data is messy, time consuming and very open to software & operator error with varying Archicad proficiencies in a studio environment.

Project Info Sets.png

Project Info Sets - Publish settings.png

Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course