Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Revising building as part of a modeule

David Bearss
Booster
I am struggling with modules and hotlinks. I am working on a subdivision with several different homes. I have created a separate pln file for each home and would like to place modules of each home on a separate overall site model pln file. I have successfully created and placed modules in the site model pln, however when I go to the source file to edit the home, I am given the warning that it is part of a module and cannot be edited.

What I would like to be able to do is indipendently edit each of the homes and then when I open the overall site plan pln, have all the modules update. I am certain this must be possible but I must just be missing something.
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David

It seems that you selected the building and then said "Save selection as module" with the "replace selected with module" (or something like that) checked. This replaced your original selection with a 'module' placed in its own file.

In the source file itself, with groups activated, select the module - go to module settings and 'Break hotlink of selected modules'. Once that module is now freely editable again, you'll be able to work on it. Your module in the main site file will still be a module.

You my like to know that a file needn't be a .MOD file in order to be hotlinked as a module in another PLN file. A PLN can be linked in as a module. This will retain more of your information. If you add notes in section windows for example on your individual houses, and save as a MOD, you will lose all this added information, retaining only the 3D info in those windows. If you intend to work up the individual houses and produced drawings from these files as well as from the site file, you need to save them as full PLN files, and hotlink these as modules into the main file, rather than saving them as MOD files.
David Bearss
Booster
Hello Kim,
I am glad it was something so simple and now all is as I hoped. I have to wonder however, in what instance would somebody use the ; "Change the Hotlink to the saved file".

Thanks you for the suggestion on pln vs. mod. I am assembling a simple 3D site model so clients and buyers can visualise the streetscape and how each home fits within the context of the neighborhood. In this case mod files are small and all I need.
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
I have to wonder however, in what instance would somebody use the ; "Change the Hotlink to the saved file".
Well - you're working in a hotel file and fiddling with the bathroom layout to get the most useable/compact/whatever layout. Then you think you have the bathroom you want. Select it - save to MOD - and check that box!

You can then copy/paste that module all over your plan, because it's now a module within your current PLN file.
Thomas Holm
Booster
But Kim, if I have to edit that bathroom, I'l have to break the hotlink you said earlier -that means the other placed bathrooms won't update?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well - when that happens you do have to open the file that you saved when you created the module in the first place. But I'm explaining when you'll use the checkbox - when you actually create the MOD.

It's always editable subsequently.

You don't need to break any module, just update the MOD file, that's all.
David Bearss
Booster
Kim, thanks to you, all has been revealed.
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not 'all', I hope!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions