Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Incorrect "Not In Your Workspace" Messages...?

Anonymous
Not applicable
We're sharing a large file among three users. I've signed in as Team Leader and have taken an assortment of layers, section/elevations, etc. (no marquees).

We have a layer called "AR Mkr" where we put section markers. I've got it in my workspace, but only SOME of the section/elevation markers on the plan allow me to edit/move them. Others give me the dreaded "Not In Your Workspace" popup when I shift/hover over them. I can open them but can't move them. And inside those sections I have Detail Marjers on "AR Mkr Det" that exhibit this same unexpected behavior.

The weird thing is that the layer name in the pretty blue popup does NOT say "Not Mine" after it, as is displayed when hovering over other layers that I don't have.

This is consistent upon changing my workspace and signing in and out.

I wondered whether, if someone else has in their workspace the detail drawings themselves, from which the detail markers are referenced (and these are in turn placed in the section windows) that AC would limit my access.

But there are some section/elevations -- on the same layers as the problematic ones -- that don't have any problem. I can also move the embedded detail markers around and open the detail windows, and only once I'm in the detail do I see the Not In Your Workspace warning, which is correct. And here it shows whose workspace it IS in, and that shows correctly.

The regularity of this leads me to think that I'm missing something - perhaps "undocumented" about complex sharing. We don't share three ways much, so that's possible...Any thoughts?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't checked in a while, but I'm pretty sure you must be signed into the elevation or detail in order to modify the tag, even if you have the layer the tag is on in your plan workspace.

wes
TomWaltz
Participant
Weston is right. You need both the marker layer and the elevations/sections in your workspace in order to change their settings.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
The odd thing is that nobody else had the sections themselves or the layer in their workspaces. And the message that came up was unusual in that it didn't identify the other user who supposedly had something in their workspace.

It didn't happen today, so maybe there was something else in those sections that was blocking me.

I just get nervous when I see something odd like this in the first couple of days of using a new version!

THEN...yesterday, another sharing oddity:

I had opened some other AC11 files at the office and copy/pasted some elements into the main file. I backed up the shared file to my portable HD as I do nightly, and working off that drive at home, those elements came up with a message saying that they were in the workspace of User #4. We only had three users, and they are our names, not numbers.

Now here's the REALLY weird part:

I saved the file as a .pln, figuring that things would "flatten out" and that I could later share the project again. I then signed out of the shared model and closed it. I opened the .pln, which seemed fine, but STILL GAVE ME THE SHARING MESSAGE!

Thinking worried thoughts of massive impending corruption, I tentatively shared the project again, and -poof- no more problems. Three of us worked furiously on the shared file today with no problems and great performance of the file overall in terms of speed.

Maybe this won't happen again, but it's a little disconcerting. Any conjectures about these behaviors? I have to wonder if my original posting issue was related to this one.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Erick wrote:
The regularity of this leads me to think that I'm missing something - perhaps "undocumented" about complex sharing. We don't share three ways much, so that's possible...Any thoughts?
This is an interesting problem that piqued my interest.

I don't believe you need to be signed into the marker to see this warning. The element information pop-up refers to the selected element, which is the marker itself. It will tell you that it is 'Not in your workspace' or in the 'Workspace of others' if you either do not own the marker's layer, or are not signed into the area that contains the marker. Either by Story, Marquee, or as I suspect may be the case here, by Elevation or Section. But it could be a result of any of the sign in methods, so check them all.

You are able to sign in to the marker's layer and you can edit that marker, move it, even delete it if you like. But if you are not signed in to the detail, then you can't edit in that detail (window).

And vice versa: if you are signed in to the detail, you can do whatever you like in that detail, but if you aren't signed in to the marker of that detail, then you can't do anything with that marker.

The 'Not Mine' warning refers just to the layer, which is why it is on the layer line of the element information pop-up.

Hope that helps you understand that issue - it can get confusing, but I am sure there is a logical explanation for it.

I'll leave your other issue well alone though...

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link, thanks for the response. It confirms what I've started to suspect - that you need to have possession of both the layer the marker is on AND the detail itself.

I have not had my odd 'Not in Your Workspace' warning come up in a .PLN again, although I've switched the file back and forth a couple of times. Perhaps it was an anomaly that will not return...?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've also seen this kind of inconsistent behavior with section markers. Sometimes and only some markers will not let you modify the settings if you don't have the layer, other markers will let you, on the same sign in. It seems to me like a bug, unless I'm missing something. Other teammates in the file have noticed the same thing as well.