BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Zones - Wall recesses to zones not working

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

I'm having another issue with the zones tool.
If I have a window were the base height is > than 0.00 the wall recesses do not count on the zone surfaces. I have made a project where all the windows are at +0.13 m which is the same height as the subfloor thickness and now, none of the net areas work.

Has anyone encountered this problem? And if so, how did you solve it?

Kind regards,
8 REPLIES 8
Can you illustrate your problem please ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Here are two images that illustrate the problem.

The surface doesn't detect the first window because the base height is different from 0.00. The window on the left of the surface is not affected because base height = 0.00.

Is this normal behaviour?
It seems strange to me to speak here in English while we use the same mother tongue

I invite you to look at the zone parameters

Then erase and replace zone(s) with the "magic wand" and this kind of parameter

I doubt that the concern comes from the window but rather from the zone. Also you can check in 3D if zone is indeed in physical link with walls and windows

Finaly you had to check the layer of the zone is visible and then check the display of the zone in 3D. :
alt + commande + A

Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Indeed it seems, but maybe someone else can find the information useful .

My zone parameters are similar to yours and the zone as detected the walls. The issue is the base height of walls / windows around the zones.

In the first image, I had the wall base height = -8.00 and the recess was not detected. In the second, the wall base height is = 0.00 and the recess calculation works fine.

Do you think this is normal behaviour?

Kind regards,
I am convinced that everything is normal and that the worry does not come primarily from the height of the walls. Export me a module file so that I find the solution
Christophe - FRANCE

Barry Kelly
In my testing, I believe the zone uses the base of the wall to determine its extents and therefore its area.
If the wall base is below the floor (storey) and the window is above the wall base, then the zone will not include the reveal in its area.
No playing around with the sub-floor thickness in the zone or the window seemed to make any difference.

I find that the window must be at the wall base for the reveal to be included in the zone area.

I would say this is a bug as the area of the zone (I think) should be taken at the base of the zone - not the wall.

But I may be wrong as I don't use zones with room areas very often.

The only work around for now that I can think of is to manually adjust the zone - but you will lose all automation.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

I just want to confirm what Barry said: currently the rule is that the window will be considered part of the floor plan area, if its sill is at the bottom of the bounding wall (see windows.jpg). Doors on the other hand are always considered to be part of the floor plan area, so a workaround might be to use the door tool to place windows like that (if the right shape is available in the door tool of course).

We are aware of the issues and limitations of this method, and we plan to address this long term - but it would require the complete overhaul of how the zone tool and window tools work.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Thomas Holm
Booster
Sorry being late to this topic.
so a workaround might be to use the door tool to place windows like that (if the right shape is available in the door tool of course).
A tip:
The MJO (Modular Joinery Object by Ralph Wessel - do a search in this forum) can be placed as a window or as a door at the user’s discretion, regardless of how complex you’ve designed it. You can also define sub-compartments of bigger, complex windows as doors if you like. Fast and flexible, and available for Archicad 22 and previous, it’s still my go-to window object. You can get it through your Archicad distributor.

This is a tip for Graphisoft’s developers too!
I regard its simple user interface for defining divisions and sub-divisions an excellent example of how user-friendly software for architects should work. It is much easier to edit after the fact than having to exchange among various pre-defined objects.
And you have full access to the GDL source code!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!