Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

importing site dwg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all
i've gotten myself confused. i've been watching some tutorials and now i'm not sure how i should be using the dwg supplied by the surveyor. i need to prepare a site plan with my new building locations etc. i have been merging the dwg on it's own story, but is this right? i saw something done with worksheets, but it doesn't make much sense to me. i need to be able to edit the imported dwg to turn off layers and edit the info. do i place it on it's own story? it seems odd to have 2d info on it's own story. terrain makes sense obviously.
wb
13 REPLIES 13
Arcadia
Booster
My method for importing and using site surveys is quite straight forward. First I import it into a worksheet. Then I check its to the correct scale and do any tidying up or editing that is required while maintaining the original files layers. Once it is all correct I convert everything to a single layer (by using the 'hammer' button in the info box) I call site survey. The I go into my layers and delete all the original surveys layers (I just filter by extension to isolate them as I already have an extension on all my own layers).

Now I have a worksheet with a survey on it that can remain untouched and seperated from all my other work which I can them put on the layout. I draw my site plan with setouts etc in my main floor plan window and create a seperate drawing at the right scale which I then place over the survey on the layout and line up using the duplicate lot boundary lines I have placed on my site plan. Hope this helps.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
SeaGeoff
Ace
I have a question for you guys. If I look at the Drawing Pens & Colors of a drawing who's source is a DWG it shows the pens used. But how are they mapped to those particular ArchiCAD pens? For example, I insert DWG detail with the drawing tool and it shows that pens 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 and 51 are used. These are the same pens the resulting elements use if the drawing is exploded. But why those?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
I have a question for you guys. If I look at the Drawing Pens & Colors of a drawing who's source is a DWG it shows the pens used. But how are they mapped to those particular ArchiCAD pens? For example, I insert DWG detail with the drawing tool and it shows that pens 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 and 51 are used. These are the same pens the resulting elements use if the drawing is exploded. But why those?
The mapping is determined by the translator used. I usually use the "keep pen index numbers" or a copy for interoperability. Otherwise I think it will try to match the colors or something. You can also specify the mapping pen by pen in the translator settings if you need to (FWIW I never have).
SeaGeoff
Ace
Thanks Matthew. I take it you mean the default translator as set in the DXF-DWG Translator Setup since the drawing tool has no overt translator controls.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x