Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Contour Design Mouse Issues

svpribyl
Contributor
This is a long shot...
I have been using a Contour Design mouse for years. It has 3-buttons. The middle button somehow defaulted to "Pan" in ArchiCAD, which I loved. I could click the middle button and drag the contents of the window around. It was great!

On my current computer and latest operating system, that no longer works. Maybe I can use the Contour Mouse driver to map the middle button to "Pan," but I can't find a "Pan" command. Is there such a thing?

Thanks.
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 11.7.1
ArchiCAD 26
5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru
Maybe look at it in reverse? Is the middle button mapped to MB3? Your mouse drivers may have options to change your button assignment.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
svpribyl wrote:
On my current computer and latest operating system, that no longer works. Maybe I can use the Contour Mouse driver to map the middle button to "Pan," but I can't find a "Pan" command. Is there such a thing?
Yes. In the Work Environment > Shortcut Schemes > Keyboard Shortcuts you can find the Pan command and assign it a keyboard shortcut if it does not currently have one. You might then be able to assign this command to your mouse.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
mikas
Expert
It seems Apple doesn't care about CAD users so much anymore. There is no middle button selection for other manufacturers mice in the prefs anymore. There used to be, but because Apple doesn't make any three button mice nowadays, they just decided to remove that from the prefs. Well, at least for other parties mice.

Solution 1: If you have acces to an old Mighty Mouse, plug it in, and the middle button magically appears to preferences. You can now select the middle button, and assign it as a "button 3". After this ArchiCAD will pan with an ordinary third party 3-button mouse too.

ps. I really can't see why this option had to be taken away, it was working allright. And after all middle button is quite vital for CAD/3D/Modelling app users. The Magic Mouse or MM2 either are not desirable for CAD work in my opinion, I have tried to use them, but no.

Solution 2: Third party software. There are a few, but some are old and not 64bit anymore. You should google and find your solution, there are both free and paid for solutions out there. I don't use them, because I've got an old Mighty Mouse - few of those actually. These are reported to work, some of them seems to work even with the next OS, Catalina. (MagicPrefs, MiddleClick)
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Jacques Toerien
Participant
The middle mouse button on both my MS Intellimouse and Logitech G600 both act without any special adjustments in MacOS 10.12 & 10.13 as pan. It even works in Maya, Autocad and Sketchup.

Not sure why the contour mouse is acting differently, some mice can have their buttons reprogrammed with manufacturers software.

Have you tried the MacOS drivers?

https://www.contourdesign.com/support/software/
2012 13" Macbook Pro 8GB Ram, OS X 10.14.6
2010 Mac Pro 2x 6 Core 2.93Ghz Xeon, 48Gb Ram, OS X 10.14.6, RX 580

To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem. - Douglas Adams
svpribyl
Contributor
I tried it with and without the drivers and it didn't work either way
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 11.7.1
ArchiCAD 26