Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

screen flashing between views - Mac

lasse
Booster
It’s been an issue for me on v23 onwards. I have 3 monitors and typically have my plan view in 1, 3D in another and a section/elevation in a 3rd. These are free floating windows (Mac, obviously). Whenever I click on one of the interfaces, it makes the others blink and flash. Very annoying. Any suggestions?

Note: its mainly in my own templates vs Graphisoft's. Can peripheral issues of custom or unique "attributes" cause this? Note: I had to put all 3 windows (ports) on one screen for recording, but it achieves the same purpose.

Lasse
(suffering updates since v.4.55)
6 REPLIES 6
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you for the report and I am very sorry about the issue!

Previously, we received one similar case where the interface is flashing grey. The issue was fixed by changing the display cable (previously it was loose/broken).

Does the issue happen when you unplug all the screens and run Archicad on the iMac's screen?

I would also like to know if the problem still happens if you do the following:

- Make ARCHICAD smaller
- Make the dock visible/hidden
- Make the dock smaller/bigger
- Or disable 2D hardware acceleration in the Working Environment

Please let me know if this helps!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

lasse
Booster
It started when I installed v23. I also still run v21 and v19 and they are still fine with all 3 monitors.

to answer your questions:
- Does the issue happen when you unplug all the screens and run Archicad on the iMac's screen? yes, still happens
- Make ARCHICAD smalleryes, still happens
- Make the dock visible/hiddenyes, still happens
- Make the dock smaller/biggeryes, still happens
- Or disable 2D hardware acceleration in the Working Environment that stopped it!!!

so, what it seems that the "2D hardware acceleration" issue has something to do with it. What are the downsides to me having it turned off? And as a follow up, why is it only in my file/template and not the Archicad derived one? What kind of setting or setup in my environment may cause this trigger? Why is it only in v23+ and not previous versions?

Thx - Lasse
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Lasse,

Thank you for the confirmation! I'm glad that the issue is solved with 2D Hardware Acceleration turned off.

Please follow the link here to read more about this feature: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/89366/ (under 2D Hardware Acceleration Level)

The difference between Software rendering and Hardware acceleration in Archicad is that:

- Software rendering: CPU will be used to generate the screen elements.
- Hardware acceleration: GPU will do the job

In short: with this feature, Archicad will use the GPU to help with drawing the 2D information. If it is set to Full, the GPU will be used for creating 2D information in all monitor. The difference in performance will depend on various factors. We usually recommend turning off 2D Hardware Acceleration, if AC behaves unexpectedly on macOS.

In order to have the GPU function properly, it needs to have the latest driver. Unfortunately, on macOS, Apple controls how the driver is delivered, therefore macOS users won't be able to have the latest bug fixes and performance tweaks for their GPU.

I suspect that in your template file, there might be some elements that mess with the GPU function, but I cannot be sure. Unfortunately, it would be very difficult to investigate further, especially during this work-from-home period. As it rarely happens, we will need your template file, along with setting up the exact configuration (monitor models, iMac model and OS version).

If the performance is acceptable with 2D Hardware Acceleration turning off, I suggest leaving it like that. But if you see that without this feature, Archicad won't be able to run properly, please forward the information (template file, system info, etc...) to our first tier support (I was talking to him as I'm typing this )

Thank you very much for your understanding! If you have any further question, feel free to ask me again!

Best regards,
Minh

P/s: to add some more information regarding AC version, I can only say each Archicad version uses the hardware resources differently, therefore the issue may happen on newer Archicad versions

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

lasse
Booster
Thx - I already spoke with your "1st Tier support person", as we are friends and live in the same town - small world.

I feel that I need to start over with templates, as I have been recycling and pushing forward the same one for many years now......it was bound to break between the nineties and now

Thx - Lasse
lasse
Booster
spoke too soon - while it fixed the flashing between viewports/screens, it has all but stalled 2D floor plan navigation, i.e. - panning, zooming, marquee input, etc.. When 2D Drawing Hardware acceleration is re-enabled, its fast and smooth in plan view but I have to put up with the flashing......
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello again,

Thank for reporting back. This is what I'm afraid when suggesting turning off 2D Hardware Acceleration.

Instead of turning it off, or keeping it at Full, have you tried with using level 1 and level 2? Maybe we can find a common ground for not having screen flashing, and the 2D performance would not be too bad?

If that does not help, then the only workaround I can think of is updating the OS, since it should also update the graphics card driver. But please only use it as a very very last resort (as we're not quite sure if this would help with the flashing), if you find the flashing and 2D performance hinder your work. With recent development of Apple, I'm afraid updating the OS might do more harm than good...

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT