Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

A Newbie help queston

Benjamine
Newcomer

We are building our new house, our architect give us a DWG file and said we can see all details in Archicad.

We have purchased Archicad and we can open the file, however, we are not sure how we can see the plan in 3D.

Any help (link) on how we can achieve that will be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Botonis
Advisor

Please don't take me wrong here  but If this forum had a buzzer (like those TV shows) where balloons and glitters are filling up the stage, for sure I would have pressed it for just this post.

We have an architect who  gives DWGs to the client and the client is buying Archicad to view them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In case this is not April's Fool you cannot see the DWGs in 3D. These are 2d  (99.9%). For more info you have to ask your architect.

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

Thank you Botonis for your reply.

Unfortunately, it is not a joke. This is what happens when old non tech people have to deal with architects and engineers.

the 2D provided does not help us to visualize properly, hence the architect advised to use Archicad as this is the software himself uses.

I understand that he actually only provided the 2D version and its up to him to provide a 3D one.

Your answer did shade some light on why we were struggling with the DWG file. Thank you again. Appreciate your help.

Ben

Hello Ben.

First time I see old non tech people purchasing arhicad, installing it, open a new file and manage to import a dwg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (BUZZERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

If your arhitect is using Archicad he/she can easily sent you a BIMx file ( a native format or Graphisoft) where you can see both all the drawings and a 3d model in both PC or tablet (android or OS).

You didn't have to buy Archicad as you said you did.......

Just ask for a BIMX file. It is free......!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Botonis Botonakis
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

Born in early 60s does qualify to be old now. Installing a software on a Mac and opening files is well within my generations skills now.

Thank you again for the valuable information regarding this topic and file formats.

Don't take me wrong here.... but if as a client you are reaching Archicad forum just to be able to see the plans and the model of your house then something is wrong with your architect. I am not judging you and I apologize if it looked like this, but I feel a communication gap.

In any case, to help you, in a practical way, download the Graphisoft BIMx app from this link:

https://graphisoft.com/solutions/bimx#download

in a pc or tablet or phone.

When you install the app you will be  able to play with a demo file of a residential building where you can see 2d drawings and also the 3d model to walktrough.

Your architect ,hopefully, should be able to do that. Export the project (2d plans and 3d model) in a bimx file, upload it on the Graphisoft server, and sent you just a link to automatically load the project.

And lastly....you are not old tech!!!!!!!!!!!!

Botonis Botonakis