Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Programs to change texture image color

DenisUser
Booster

Hey,

Can anyone please suggest a free software that can change texture image colors for Archicad use? I need to change textures to use in 3D and in Archicad renders.

I do not have much experience with image editing as other modeling software I have used had some good options built in and it was enough for my use case. 

Is there any good free program that can do this? Or something that is not expensive. Most of the time I do not need anything fancy just to change things like siding/stucco texture color or standing seam roof color etc.
And if someone has software suggestions maybe say which tools to use there? I am not an experienced image editor so some quick pointers in the right direction and I will probably manage from there.

Archicad 26 Solo (Beginner - Started August 2023), Windows 11 Pro, Dell Precision 7560 Laptop (64GB RAM, i7-11850H, RTX A4000), Dual 27-inch Dell Monitors (2560x1440).
7 REPLIES 7
DenisUser
Booster

Ok I think I now got what I need.

Using layers with texture image and color within Archicad or using GIMP.

Not user-friendly stuff, but it will have to do.

Archicad 26 Solo (Beginner - Started August 2023), Windows 11 Pro, Dell Precision 7560 Laptop (64GB RAM, i7-11850H, RTX A4000), Dual 27-inch Dell Monitors (2560x1440).
mthd
Ace

CA eye dropper and spray can texture painter are cool and simple to use. I started with CAV6 up to CAX10. GS can learn from the simplicity and ease of use of CA. I much prefer AC even though I like the simplicity of CA. For those interested in how they do it in CA please watch this video.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/36/applying-materials-colors-and-textures.html

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

The default setup of ArchiCAD CineRender textures is a nightmare to modify... There were a few wishes around for a rework of thme to make it easier to modify and create them...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Yup. I used CA for a couple of years x13 and x14. Eye droppers are even better in x14. Spray is also very very cool. Those two are actually my favorite functions of CA and I wish GS would make something similar to AC. I also like AC more in almost everything else, but eyedropper and spray are just awesome. I posted this wish to the wishes board just in case.

For now I think I am gonna use GIMP. There is pretty good options to change colors. You have to work for it and it is not fast, but it is something and free.

I also really miss temporary dimensions from Revit and CA and guide lines/temp. lines from Mitek Pamir program, but this is another topic. 

Every program has some amazing underappreciated small tool that I always miss in my next software :).

You may know that we now have distance guides available in AC27 that help with placement and editing although still experimental they are working on improving them for us in AC28. We don't have the solo version available in my region. Do you export to other applications for your final render ?

Forgot that this topic is still open.

Yes I know about new guides. They are useful, but still not as good as they could be.

I do not use other software for final renders. I do not have any real need for my renders to be perfect.

I haven’t needed to provide a perfect rendering so far either. I would hope that the PBR in AC28 is working properly. Many users are having difficulties with it so far but I hope they are all ironed out in time for the release.