Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Snow Leopard may require updated color calibration

Karl Ottenstein
Snow Leopard has changed the monitor display gamma from the historical 1.8 to 2.2 (PC like).

The result is that if you had color calibrated your monitor prior to upgrading to Snow Leopard, then what you see on the screen is probably no longer color calibrated.

If you have a Spyder or other such device, you should re-run the software to create new monitor profile(s).

Or, you should go to System Preferences > Displays and click the Color tab for each of your monitors. Then, for each, click Calibrate... to manually create a new color profile.

Good luck. If your LCD monitor is very old, the fluorescent backlight may have developed a yellow tinge that will make it difficult to calibrate satisfactorily. Such a monitor is still fine for lots of things, just not fine tuning color imagery. (Can you tell that that describes one of mine? 😞 )

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
4 REPLIES 4
Eduardo Rolon
Karl,

per Apple if you have your monitor calibrated there should be no difference. Here's the reference:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3712

The problem is with uncalibrated stuff.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
Weird. Both of my monitors were calibrated, and both looked really different after installing Snow Leopard.

Well, glad you found that ... so maybe things will be fine for most people.

Thanks, Eduardo,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Eduardo Rolon
AFAIK the UI will look different since it is not color calibrated to the 2.2 profile but your images will look the same as they did before.

Ref.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/09/why_your_web_content_will_look_darker.html
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Chazz
Enthusiast
Upgraded my laptop and workstation this week and can't say I noticed a difference.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current