Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

creat a rendering that looks like a water color?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys,
i have a client that wouldl like me to do some schematic renderings and really like the look of water color or a hand marker rendering. Is this possible with ArchiCAD, lightworks, Artlantis? If so can some one give me some setting so i can test this out. i have posted an example of the style they wanted...really in a time crunch on this one.
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great stuff !!

actually what i use as i learned from this forum is to have a "LWRE image..which is OK i mean u don't have to get a perfect one..a simple one" then a sketch render..but i suggest to turn off 3D vectorial hatching and shadows " at least this what i do " then in Photo shop just put the LWRE pic in background.. and the Sketch on a layer and just turn the Skecth layer to " overlay".. without doing nothing u will have a very good one..

now what i say is i think GS might consider this as a way of rendering ..coz its already done in AC " only the overlay thing" so i guess its not that hard to achieve it in AC.. and it will be a unique ..yet powerful way of rendering in AC.

what do u think?
Anonymous
Not applicable
now what i say is i think GS might consider this as a way of rendering ..coz its already done in AC " only the overlay thing" so i guess its not that hard to achieve it in AC.. and it will be a unique ..yet powerful way of rendering in AC.

what do u think?
I was asking same thing some time ago in this topic.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=10074&postdays=0&postorder=desc&highlight=sketch...

Today I'm even more positive this is a direction ArchiCAD should go. Instead of limited-features render engine, which ppl refuse to learn, we could have nice-and-easy combination of LW-sketch, which most of the clients just prefere. I like LW very much and use it a lot but there is no secret it cannot compete with industry standard renderers and never will. For high end presentation ppl use specialized software anyway and don't even bother with LW (well...despite me and maybe couple of others ) so there is great potential left unused. I would love to see next AC more artistic and creative in presentation and stop trying to be photorealistic. Just my two cents.
Dwight
Newcomer
Congratulations. This is a really good rendering - and so quick. My mother always said that everybody sees how well you did, they never ask how long it took. My mums obviously never had a boss.

Your courageous use of the faded background goes a long way to building the pastoral effect you'd seek from a watercolor. I learned something from this.... photo used as non-photoreal... and the low-contrast image destroys much of the problem we have with computers making things too black.

I am not compelled by the composition since it is not dramatic - are you only adding the porte cochere? Confronting the rear ends of the cars from such a low eye point makes me feel like a valet.

Show more. Start a trend.
Dwight Atkinson
Pete
Newcomer
The photo used for the background still looks like a photo to me. Try using the "cutout" filter in PS on the background photo to reduce the detail and it will look more like handwork. If Lightworks gave you too much photorealism, you can then use the same PS cutout filter settings on the rendering so the background and the rendering should look integrated. ?
Pete Read
ArchiCAD 12; Artlantis Studio 2
MacBook Pro 2.4 Core2Duo, 2GB, OSX(10.5) and XPpro(SP3)
rob2218
Enthusiast
Beautiful technique.
I have one of my own as well.
I'd like to chat with the person who did that car portecoche (sp?) watercolor technique if possible.

I really like it. I think it would help in our office.

contact information: rrobert@bermelloajamil.com

thanks.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
Beautiful technique.
I'd like to chat with the person who did that car portecoche (sp?) watercolor technique if possible.

thanks.
If looking for a better and more advanced solution? try and check Piranesi
http://www.informatix.co.uk/piranesi/gallery.shtml
easy .. and more advanced... model in ArchiCAD or Sketchup ' or Whatever" and export to Piranesi... for me i even render in Artlantis then export to Piranesi.. nothing compared to that
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
Beautiful technique.

thanks.
If looking for a better and more advanced solution? try and check Piranesi
http://www.informatix.co.uk/piranesi/gallery.shtml
easy .. and more advanced... model in ArchiCAD or Sketchup ' or Whatever" and export to Piranesi... for me i even render in Artlantis then export to Piranesi.. nothing compared to that
rob2218
Enthusiast
Paranesi is fine and dandy but....the whole point is "not" to have to use another 3D software to make it look like a sketch............hence the use with Adobe Photochop...

I have no clue how to operate Photochop...but all I do is copy/paste one image on top of another one, use the opacity settings and Voala......

I love what the Paranesi software can do but.......you can accomplish almost the same with Photochop.
Cutaway-02B-composite.jpg
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
Paranesi is fine and dandy but....the whole point is "not" to have to use another 3D software to make it look like a sketch...
Piranesi is not 3D software. It is specialized image editing software which adds some 3D-like information to the still images. It does have some impressive tools for producing very nice renderings - even starting with mediocre images. I was disappointed that it won't give you renderings in the style of its namesake

Personally I still prefer Photoshop since it is more general purpose (I use it for lots of things besides editing renderings) and, as you say, it can accomplish many of the same effects.
Dwight
Newcomer
Hahaha "Photochop"
That is the version butchers use.

Absolutely agree!

While Pirannesi has the unique ability to maintain 3D data when drawing on converging planes, all this potential rarely produces beautiful art. Piranesi's own promotional material is filled with garish examples.

Archicad users looking for more artistic results should rely on a combination of photorealistic and sketch rendering - and this doesn't require photoshop!

By rendering a photorealistic image and using it as a background for a sketch rendering of exactly the same size and viewpoint. By carefully selecting a sketch render color complimenting the photoreal scheme, wonderful art can happen.

As for photoshop, no Archicad user should be without it, or a simpler photoediting program of some kind. Materials, textures, fast rendering adjustments, tiny rendering repairs because of modeling flaws - whatever - are a snap when you can manipulate pixels.

In Photoshop, applying filters is the key to better artwork. While many Archicad users come from a building technology background rather than a photographic or art background, trust me when i tell you it is fun.
Filters used to make hideous results, but as Photoshop has evolved, the community got together and began to share "actions" - macro routines that apply many effects in sequence to an image. Very sublime and delightful results. So you need not have sophisticated knowledge of photoediting - just use the shared actions to change your work.

Many sites have "actions" to share. For instance:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?cat=190&l=-1&event=productHome&exc=16&Submit=Filter

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tools/actions.html
Dwight Atkinson