Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Ingolf
Advocate

My wish is to have dual screens with instant updating in Archicad. As far as I understand I have to click on the window on the other screen to update it. It would have been smoother to have an imediate update. As soon as I alter something in the plan view, it will automatically change in the 3D window and section/elevation.

19 Comments
scottjm
Advisor

My suspicion with multi Archicad instances is that the work environment settings of last one to be closed is the one that gets saved as the new default settings.  
And what’s with workspace settings always becoming custom as soon as you apply them, even if you haven’t moved a single palette?! 🤷‍

runxel
Legend

Yeah, that it automatically becomes "custom" is weird and dumb. But I once read it was because of the window of the work environment itself. 🙄

scottjm
Advisor

🤣

Mar_vojt_
Participant

Hi,

if you look at other 3D software like Rhino / Blender / 3Ds max, they show a model in 4 windows with real-time overview of the model and you can clearly see what are you doing. It is more responsive and more connected to a workflow of a designer.

But Archicad is having hard time rendering elements even for simple shading model. I don't know how, but i think that is has somehow slow  engine for computing geometry in a view. I also work in Blender and it can handle millions of polygons in one model without shutter. When I switch to Archicad I can feel it is very slow even for 100k polygon model. I know it is due to solid element operations and other stuff, but I still think it is too slow.

Have a nice day

Martin

Lingwisyer
Guru

Long term wish. Here is one from 2009. It is on the Idea Pool on the Roadmap. Though who knows if it will every become more than just an idea...

Rogerio M
Contributor

Just like other modeling software, and even Archicad's biggest competitor, I really miss being able to work with multiple windows—floor plan, section, and 3D—open simultaneously, updating in real-time as changes are made.

It's frustrating that I can only undock the window and position it within the Archicad environment. For project development teams, it disrupts the workflow to have to click on another window and wait for it to update just to see a simple change you made in another window.

Hi @Rogerio M,

I liked this wish as I really need it but don’t forget that immediate update in 3D can cause crises if I accidentally performed any operation in 2D that affects performance & needs few minutes for processing and may cause crashes as happening in Revit (the biggest competitor).

I have liked this as I can see the benefit (if it can also be turned off).
Perhaps a starting point would be to make "Linked Tabs" a standard feature and take it out of "Experimental" where it has been for a number of years.

Switching between tabs or having multiple views I think is a personal preference and/or situational.

Nader
Contributor

From this, I can deduce that you are working on a Windows Machine. And I fully support that.

Side note: I believe someone overcame that hurdle by extending AC to the two screens.

Status
Upvoted

with 71 Votes

Additional information
Product:
Labels: