BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMx early adopters penalty.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I sincerely wish GS would think ahead in their financial development cycle.

As it stands now, we, early adopters, always get fined for buying into and supporting GS's early releases.

When BIMxPro first came out on iPad (circa 2013) with a rather unthought-trough and somewhat unrealistic payment model I was one of the first to pay around $80 for an application.

A bit later realizing slow sales and cumbersome payment structure related to sharing projects with clients, GS came out with a lower-priced $50/$50 model (all projects for $50 if you buy BIMxPro version, or a single $50 fee for any one project to be shared with any number of clients running free BIMx application).

I was curious then and I am curious now whether any courtesy rebate would be offered to any early BIMxPro users (usual practice in software development) to offset GS's marketing department inability to set realistic sales goals. Nope.

As a demand for BIMxPro grew due to our (general users) restless promotion we had to buy more licenses at $50 a pop to share 2D docs with our clients.

Now, when an aging BIMx technology (after all, it is more than a decade old) is experiencing another sales drop due to other competeing applications taking their market share we get fined again by GS marketing team.

I am curious, can old supporters of BIMxPro get a refund, so we all start using software for free just like the rest of the world? 🙂
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I sincerely do not think it is possible to predict how well a product will perform or how to set these financial conditions. I feel you may be a bit too harsh on GRAPHISOFT for this.

But, hey, look at it this way: from now on you will save a lot of money because all those 2D+3D Hypermodels you will use from now on will be free. Isn't that a good thing?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
I sincerely do not think it is possible to predict how well a product will perform
Actually, I think it is.
It is called "Marketing" and one can get a PH.D in it. 🙂
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If what you say was so simple there would be a lot more wildly successful companies.
How many products come to market and the market just doesn't respond the way all those great marketing gurus who "know everything there is to know" thought it would. I just do not think it is a exact science.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anton wrote:
I sincerely wish GS would think ahead in their financial development cycle.

As it stands now, we, early adopters, always get fined for buying into and supporting GS's early releases.
So I take it that you'd prefer to have the earlier versions be free and the later, more mature versions, be paid for? At what point in the development cycle should the software be financed? And it's outrageous that GS was standing there, with a gun to your head, forcing you to buy the early software. lol.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
So I take it that you'd prefer to have the earlier versions be free and the later, more mature versions, be paid for?
Did't think about this way, but it is a possibility. I am not sure it is fully applicable, but this is accepted practice nowadays with a lot of software development companies going the way of free "Public Beta" to test new software and then charging money for the full commercial release.
Learn and get certified!