BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMx for Windows phone 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does Graphisoft has any plans to publish bimx for windows phone 8 ?!t
21 REPLIES 21
Francois_MCD
Expert
Hi BBinder
http://www.gsmarena.com/kantar_worldpanel_wp_breaks_10_market_share_in_europe-news-7298.php
What is this about? I know "www.gsmarena.com" is a cool phone review site. But I prefer not to just follow any link I know nothing about.
Can you please give us some basics what the page is about?
Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course
Anonymous
Not applicable
it's just a report of marketshares in Europe for Q3 2013. Windows Phone reaches 10.2%
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
BBinder wrote:
http://www.gsmarena.com/kantar_worldpanel_wp_breaks_10_market_share_in_europe-news-7298.php
Looks pretty damning doesn't it:
"…most of the phones running WP were from the low-end spectrum, but that's hardly a surprise considering that Lumia 520 alone accounts for about a quarter of all WP devices"
MS ignored the mobile market for too long - it's far too late to establish a presence now.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Karl Ottenstein
Also, see this one:
http://www.asymco.com/2013/12/13/how-many-americans-will-be-using-an-iphone/

Edit: sorry - didn't notice that this link is just a US market study and doesn't reflect world-wide trends.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am the owner for example Nokia Lumia 1020 WP8, and if I had known earlier that for GS will have in the near future prospect development BIMx under WP8 for the end user (civil engineers), would take the device on iOS.
I'm sorry, but this is extremely disturbing to me, this seeming soft-sell (of iPhone/iPad product line) that seems to be trying to direct Users who want to enjoy BIMx Hypermodels to it's full potential, for as long as there's only an iPad/iPhone version available.

I already pointed this out in the LinkedIn discussion of the same topic, but surely there has to be some recognition of the fact that some of us are not interested in buying Apple products now or anytime in the future.

For another thing, one has to realize that for every graph brought out projecting iPhone growth in the US, a countering graph can easily produced showing a similar trend for Android phones usage trends particularly in Asia where Android phones outsell iPhones 3-to-1, and especially in light of the fact that it's Samsung's (the most popular Android version of phone and tablet) home base (South Korea).

Most consumers don't like to feel like they're being compelled to buy a product against their will, just to get the benefits of another unrelated product that they're actually interested in.
And that's what always seems to happen every time these BIMx discussion crops up, from my own observation anyway.
Be it here or at LinkedIn.

I especially feel sorry for Windows 8 tablet/phone users - and particularly Surface Pro users - since, despite the fact that a desktop version of BIMx Hypermodel (which would presumably work on Surface Pro tablets as well) would seem like a no-brainer to develop and have ready, it's also seeming like theirs is the version that won't get any attention any time soon, or at all, for that matter.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Bricklyne wrote:
I'm sorry, but this is extremely disturbing to me, this seeming soft-sell (of iPhone/iPad product line) that seems to be trying to direct Users who want to enjoy BIMx Hypermodels to it's full potential, for as long as there's only an iPad/iPhone version available.

I already pointed this out in the LinkedIn discussion of the same topic, but surely there has to be some recognition of the fact that some of us are not interested in buying Apple products now or anytime in the future.

For another thing, one has to realize that for every graph brought out projecting iPhone growth in the US, a countering graph can easily produced showing a similar trend for Android phones usage trends particularly in Asia where Android phones outsell iPhones 3-to-1, and especially in light of the fact that it's Samsung's (the most popular Android version of phone and tablet) home base (South Korea).

Most consumers don't like to feel like they're being compelled to buy a product against their will, just to get the benefits of another unrelated product that they're actually interested in.
And that's what always seems to happen every time these BIMx discussion crops up, from my own observation anyway.
Be it here or at LinkedIn.

I especially feel sorry for Windows 8 tablet/phone users - and particularly Surface Pro users - since, despite the fact that a desktop version of BIMx Hypermodel (which would presumably work on Surface Pro tablets as well) would seem like a no-brainer to develop and have ready, it's also seeming like theirs is the version that won't get any attention any time soon, or at all, for that matter.
If anyone deserves sympathy, don't leave RIM out of the picture - they still have a bigger market presence than MS, but didn't get a mention in your post.

Bottom line is, no one is trying to force you to buy anything. Software will be produced anywhere that companies perceive a market opportunity. Apple's a no-brainer for the mobile market - it took an incredible (and expensive) gamble with both the iPhone and iPad, and it paid off. Apple gets first priority because it owns the target high-end market.

GS (and other BIM software suppliers) have to focus on high-end products simply because the low-end won't deliver a useful experience. Apple is 100% focussed on that market. Is there a strong argument for the market penetration of RIM, Android, or MS in the high-end market? Even looking at the browser statistics, it looks doubtful. Irrespective of all the sales statistics, Safari - the native iOS browser - is between 60-70% of the world's mobile traffic. It's a great development target too - 70% of users have already upgraded to the most recent version of the operating system, and all of these handsets are very competent machines. A developer can be confident that their customers will have a good experience.

Nothing further is required for Windows at this stage. If you have Surface Pro, you can run anything that is compatible with Windows. Windows Surface, which runs Windows RT, is dead in the water. After losing nearly a billion US$ on the failed product, MS has stated that, "we aren't going to have 3 versions of Windows in future", i.e. RT is history. And at this moment in time, I can't see any reason for investing in Windows Phone. Steve Balmer has finally admitted that MS completely dropped the ball in the mobile market, and its presence is almost non-existent. The only reason it has any presence is because it bought Nokia, a business in its death-throes. Time will tell if that will pay off, but it's not a healthy development target yet.
Ralph Wessel BArch
arqperalta
Contributor
BIMx for Windows phone 8 is a must, please make the app available asap.
Carlos J. Peralta

a r c h i t e c t

Peru - USA

AC 4.55 - 26

Asus i9, 64Gb Ram, Windows 11, 4Gb graphs
Ralph wrote:
If anyone deserves sympathy, don't leave RIM out of the picture - they still have a bigger market presence than MS, but didn't get a mention in your post.
Probably because RIM, doesn't really exist anymore (as a company that owns the Blackberry line - it's now known as Blackberry limited)
And one only needs to look at Blackberry Limited's last quarterly report to know why I didn't mention them.
They have a bigger market presence based on the proliferation of their earlier products (the Blackberry phone) and ecosytem, but that says nothing about their future, for which one only has to consider how they've been hemorrhaging profits, revenue and market presence and come to the conclusion that they're basically dead in the water at this point and a dead (compnay) walking.
Plus, their tablet product, made almost Zero impact on the Tablet market, and that's where the focus for a BIMx DOCS development discussion would have to be centered.
As much as Microsoft screwed up with their Tablet/smartphone entry and roll-out, and with the Surface RT strategy, can you really say the same about their future in the Tablet/smartphone market?

Ralph wrote:
Bottom line is, no one is trying to force you to buy anything. Software will be produced anywhere that companies perceive a market opportunity. Apple's a no-brainer for the mobile market - it took an incredible (and expensive) gamble with both the iPhone and iPad, and it paid off.
You're right.
No one is trying to force me or anyone to buy anything (a really odd attitude to adopt for a company that really ought to be trying to attract customers to their side rather than alienate them, but whatever....)

Nor do I have any intention of buying a product that I have no interest in owning just to use another product that I'm actually interested in using.
I would only hope for their sake that Graphisoft don't have as equally dismissive an attitude towards non-iPad/iPhone/Apple users, because that's the exact attitude (which Apple product users tend to radiate and which puts off most people generally from investing in products which they otherwise don't really need.
Which is kind of the perception that Graphisoft should be seeking to change, I would think.
But what do I know?
I'm just an Android product user.

Ralph wrote:
Apple gets first priority because it owns the target high-end market.

GS (and other BIM software suppliers) have to focus on high-end products simply because the low-end won't deliver a useful experience. Apple is 100% focussed on that market. Is there a strong argument for the market penetration of RIM, Android, or MS in the high-end market? Even looking at the browser statistics, it looks doubtful.
You mean other than the fact that Android products actually currently outsell Apple iPhones/IPads by a 3-1 ratio?
And besides which, last I checked, there are more than quite a few Android smartphones and tablets that are quite superior in many of not most respects to Apple tablets and smartphones - at least in the ways that matter to the people who buy and use them, so who's to say what qualifies as "high-end"?
You? An Apple user?
Ralph wrote:
Irrespective of all the sales statistics, Safari - the native iOS browser - is between 60-70% of the world's mobile traffic.
Weird how it becomes convenient to dismiss sales figures when they go against your argument but when it fits your narrative and parse it out to being just about product quality - which, last I checked is a rather subjective criterion.
Ralph wrote:
If you have Surface Pro, you can run anything that is compatible with Windows. ......
Except that in the context of this discussion, there is no Desktop version of BIMx DOCs, which is kind of where the disappointment lay.
And from the looks of things and rumblings, it really doesn't seem like GS is all that motivated to develop a version for that format (which would obviously impact more than just Surface Pro users, as the rest of use would actually hope to be able to have a Desktop version from which we can fine-tune BIMX DOCS models like we can now with regular BIMX)

Which would mean that having a Surface Pro, would still mean you don't get to use or benefit from BIMx DOCS.

But in any case it's pretty clear where their development priorities (and preferences lie).
I just find it a rather strange attitude that they (and supporters of this stance, in people like you) adopt towards what intuitively ought to be a more welcoming rather than alienating stance in trying to sell something that most people in the target demographic you're aiming for, wouldn't be convinced that they need at all, to begin with, but whose interest (and purchase) would go a long way to helping not just the product itself but the company and it's product ecosystem as a whole in the long run.

But like I asked before,
What do I know, right?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
BIMx Docs Android version is coming in 2014.
Don't know about any planned desktop version, though.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!