BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.
SOLVED!

bimx link on iPhone not working

Dave Brach
Advocate

I cannot figure out the process for opening an emailed BIMx link on iPhone.   On iPad, I open the gmail app, click on the BIMx link, it takes me to the default browser (chrome), and then gives the option to download the model and open it in the BIMx app. Works great.  But on iPhone I open the gmail app, click on the BIMx link, and it takes me to the default browser (safari), where there is no option to open the BIMx app.  The only option is the "play" button, which results in an error message that the browser does not support the product.  If I text the link it does the same thing.  I am typically email BIMx models to my clients and I tell them that they can just click and open on their phones.  what am I doing wrong?

IMG_2765.PNG

IMG_2766.PNG

  

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Roland Szabo
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear All, we have fixed the issue. BIMx Model Transfer now allows you to scroll down to Download within BIMx Web's frame on touchscreen devices.

I appreciate your feedback about the model import process, we aim to provide the simplest way possible. The "Safari cannot open this page" dialog appears if BIMx is not installed. Your mobile device associates the "bimxapplication://..." download&import link (embedded in the "Download model" button) when installing BIMx. If BIMx is not installed, your browser is not allowed to scan your device for associated apps due to privacy. Therefore, the browser's generic response is the only option. › Please ask your client to install BIMx before downloading the model. 

Regarding why the web app is not supported on iPhones and iPads, see this comment.

Roland Szabo
BIMx Product Manager

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Barry Kelly

Silly question maybe, but do you have the BIMx app installed on your phone?

Otherwise it sounds like it is trying to use the Web version and your browser does not support it.

You could try a different browser?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Current BIMx app installed on new  iPhone.  But if it weren't installed, the link should be directing me to download the app, not open the model in the browser right?   Trying a different browser is no solution because the best way to view BIMx on a phone is the app, no?   I'm just frustrated because I preach to my clients about how EASY it is to view their model, and here I am a power user and cannot even open my own projects.

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura

You would think the link on your phone would do the same as the same link on your iPad.

Maybe it is a browser issue if your iPad is using Chrome and your iPhone is using Safari.

If you open the app on your phone and then click the '+' button top left, can you browse to the transfer site, but I am not sure you can see what is in your personal transfer page,  just the publicly shared files.

Unless you can copy & paste the web link to the address bar at the bottom of the transfer site? - I have never tried.

I know you can 'browse'  for a file, but I think you have to have it downloaded to you device first which seems to not be happening in your case.

I don't use BIMx all that often.

When I get a chance later, I will save a file to the transfer site and test in my iPad and iPhone.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

(On iPad, I open the gmail app, click on the BIMx link, it takes me to the default browser (chrome), and then gives the option to download the model and open it in the BIMx app. Works great.)

I see you can't even use BIMx web viewer on iPad too cause if working it won't ask you to download the model or setup BIMx app.

I tried that before but failed, here's the surprise:

CAB4FB6E-2E87-4EFE-8971-416B4FA9C276.jpeg

 these are the system requirements for the last update of BIMx web viewer.

What I actually do now is to use BIMx mobile app to open my downloaded hyper model.

AC 27 INT 5003
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

My whole goal here is to bypass the web viewer entirely and use the app.  I should be able to send a link to a client, and they should be able to click the link, go to the transfer site, and with another click open the model in the app (or, if it is the first time user download the free app).  The fact that it is trying to use the web viewer is confusing and annoying.  The web viewer is OK on a desktop but on a mobile device makes no sense at all.  If this is browser issue that would be odd.  Safari should be perfectly fine and mine is updated.

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura

actually I see now that I just needed to rotate my phone to get the whole screen to show.  duh sorry.

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura

I would like to revisit this.  I have a client who keeps telling me that he cannot get the 3d model to work, and he is right.  It's just clunky.   When you click on the link in the iPhone gmail app it takes you to the model transfer site "play" button.  And if you click the "play" button it just gets stuck, no download.  And if you try to scroll down and download the app, it's very difficult to figure out how to scroll down.  Possible, yes, but difficult.  My point is this should be SUPER EASY for a first time user, and it is not.  This is supposed to be the best architect-client interface in the world.

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura

....further, when I scroll down and click "download

IMG_4663.PNG

model" I get an error message.  What's up?

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
DGSketcher
Legend

Have you tried sending feedback to the developers through the app (top right), they ( @Roland Szabo ) are usually very good at helping out?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Learn and get certified!