Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Archicad 21 Template Conversion Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have some questions/issues with converting from Archicad 20 to 21.
What is the best way to transfer my working template/favorites from 20 to 21.
When I import the template to 21 and open the file, there some icons/items missing, i.e. the stair tool doesn't show up. when I open a file with the standard built in 21 template all the icons show up. Not sure if this is an issue anyone else is having?
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly
The old stair tool from 20 and before is no more.
There is a new stair tool and railing tool.
You will have to add them to your tool bar and/or tool palette (and menus)by editing your Work Environment settings if you are not using the standard 21 work environments - i.e. you have your own custom Work Environment.

Also you must make sure that you load the 21 Graphisoft library as the stair and railing tools will not work properly without this library (or at least the macros part of it) loaded.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Dave Jochum
Advocate
It would be helpful if Graphisoft identified all the new tools, menu items, etc. in a simple list for each annual release so we could easily update our Work Environment. It's not that tough for us to figure out, but it would be very easy for them to provide.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Dave:

It is sort of there: Work Environment > Command Layout Schemes > Toolbars and Menus > List: All new commands in alphabetic order.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Dave Jochum
Advocate
David wrote:
Dave:

It is sort of there: Work Environment > Command Layout Schemes > Toolbars and Menus > List: All new commands in alphabetic order.

David
Excellent--thanks, David. I've never noticed that. Right in the WE ready for revision. Much better than a list.
Dave Jochum
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
You may also want to check the short cut keys

Work Environment > Shortcut Schemes > Keyboard Shortcuts> List: All new commands in alphabetic order.
same list, but in the "Keyboard Shortcut Preview" at the bottom, with "Show Shortcut List in Browser"

I copy that from the browser into an excel spread sheet to identify any changes or added shortcut keys that may affect our company standards.

P.S.

I always build a new work environment in the new version of Archicad, adding the features that are standard to our workflow.
It is hard to identify the changes that might effect new tool usage until the software has been used for a while in the company,
so I always start from the Graphisoft base, and build a company specific tool bar that allows us to do our work faster, rather than trying to add in all the new features to an existing work environment.
also, changing the work environment too much makes it hard for someone to look something up in the Archicad Reference Guide, or to ask question online because i may not know about every feature that was available.
(I know the manual is now only 3380 pages now, but I may not get a chance to read it all before releasing a new template, lol)
Dave Jochum
Advocate
allanp wrote:
Hi,
You may also want to check the short cut keys

Work Environment > Shortcut Schemes > Keyboard Shortcuts> List: All new commands in alphabetic order.
same list, but in the "Keyboard Shortcut Preview" at the bottom, with "Show Shortcut List in Browser"

I copy that from the browser into an excel spread sheet to identify any changes or added shortcut keys that may affect our company standards.

P.S.

I always build a new work environment in the new version of Archicad, adding the features that are standard to our workflow.
It is hard to identify the changes that might effect new tool usage until the software has been used for a while in the company,
so I always start from the Graphisoft base, and build a company specific tool bar that allows us to do our work faster, rather than trying to add in all the new features to an existing work environment.
also, changing the work environment too much makes it hard for someone to look something up in the Archicad Reference Guide, or to ask question online because i may not know about every feature that was available.
(I know the manual is now only 3380 pages now, but I may not get a chance to read it all before releasing a new template, lol)
Yes, I do the same--not just with the WE, but our entire project template. It's tedious. Just looking for a simpler, less time consuming solution.
Dave Jochum
Dave wrote:
Yes, I do the same--not just with the WE, but our entire project template. It's tedious. Just looking for a simpler, less time consuming solution.
1. Open your AC20 template in AC21.
2. Overwrite the AC20 Tool Schemes and Command Layout Schemes with the new AC21 Tool Schemes and Command Layout Schemes.
3. Modify WE as desired. Done.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Richard wrote:
Dave wrote:
1. Open your AC20 template in AC21.
2. Overwrite the AC20 Tool Schemes and Command Layout Schemes with the new AC21 Tool Schemes and Command Layout Schemes.
3. Modify WE as desired. Done.
Yes, Richard, correct. My "tedious" comment really related to the entire template revision process from version to version, of which WE update is a small part--and one of the simplest at that.
Dave Jochum
Dave,
So, unless you are trying to recreate the whole template from scratch (and why would you do that?), what are you finding to be so tedious?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10