Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Can't Upload Library

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just shared my first project in 17. One out of the three libraries failed to upload to the BIM server. Checked permissions, all is as it should be. When I go to "Manage BIM Server Libraries", click "Upload", and choose my library folder it gives me the "One or more characters in this file name are not valid on a Windows platform" message even though there aren't any of those characters in the name. Plus, we're an all Mac office, so I don't care about windows platform. I click "OK", and it instantly pops up with a "Failed to Upload Library" message. When I just try to add the library from the Library Manager, the "OK" button is grayed out unless i navigate to a single file, it won't accept folders! This library worked fine in the Solo model. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly
I have no idea why the library would work in solo mode and not teamwork but maybe the problem is not the library name itself but a folder or object name deeper within the library itself?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike did you figure this out?
schagemann
Enthusiast
we have the same problem - seems to coincide with the latest hotfix AC17-6004.

as a workaround we have had success with creating an LCF instead, i.e. load the folder into AC17 then go File > Libraries and Objects > Create Container... make sure to compress it under options.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Ed_Brown
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
More than likely there is an object with one of the following characters in it:
" : / double quotes, colon, slash
I have seen it before where library part authors have include the size in inches of something added to the name with " as well as options that are in the the part used with '/'

These will cause a failure to upload a library as you mention. As part of correcting for some issues that failed silently or in more nasty ways, these library parts are now more stringently examined.
Graphisoft Technical Support
schagemann
Enthusiast
at least in our library there are no such characters, we have checked every single folder and every single objects name and did test with uploading a single folder as well to no avail.

also as indicated the exact same folder structure worked for us on the previous hotfix.

btw. there is already a ticket in the AUS support system for which Judit will be provided with additional material today.
macinteract

schagemann
Enthusiast
so here is the solution to the mystery - if you use any custom folder icons on OSX this problem occurs, adjust your folder icons to the default and it works again... e.g. we use custom coloured folder icons as part of our QA system and have been doing so for the last 2 years - thus we are pretty sure this 'bug' was introduced by a reent AC17 hotfix (btw. we also do not experience this behaviour in AC15 & AC16).

would be interesting to hear if the same applies to PC AC17 hotfixes...
macinteract

Eduardo Rolon
I have seen also a weird issue with the finder in the recent updates to 17. I have been using "Default Folder X" for some years and it works fine with all versions of AC but 17 so I have had to exclude AC from its settings.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
schagemann wrote:
so here is the solution to the mystery - if you use any custom folder icons on OSX this problem occurs, adjust your folder icons to the default and it works again... e.g. we use custom coloured folder icons as part of our QA system and have been doing so for the last 2 years - thus we are pretty sure this 'bug' was introduced by a reent AC17 hotfix (btw. we also do not experience this behaviour in AC15 & AC16).

would be interesting to hear if the same applies to PC AC17 hotfixes...
Unfortunately/fortunately this is a result of an optimization that we released with the latest v17 hotfix.
We had many reports about BIM Server libraries that cannot be refreshed. After a long investigation we identified that in many situations invalid file and folder names are used in libraries. The majority of the problematic names originate from Mac computers, as OS X is much more allowing in this sense than Windows.

In order to make sure we only allow filenames that work on both platforms, we needed to disable some characters.

In your particular example when you set a custom folder icon on Mac, an icon file named Icon? will be created within the folder (with ls you can list that using terminal). Question mark is not allowed on Windows so such folder cannot be uploaded to our BIM Server.

Special characters that are prohibited on Windows in file/folder names: \ / : * ? " < > |

I know this is a bad news for your QA system, but I hope by knowing this you can figure out a structure that works.

Regards,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Anonymous
Not applicable
so FYI: this is still the case with our version 18 and uploading libraries to the BIM cloud. We had to get rid of our custom icons for it to upload.
Thanks for the help guys!!