Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Corrupt XML file

Debby
Participant

Hi everyone, 

I am trying to import an XML file with the property manager and get the following error message:

Importing failed. Please check if the chosen file is a valid and not corrupted XML file.

The file is allright (it's from a government website for 3D models of Berlin) and I can't seem to figure out what is going wrong here. I am using the ArchiCAD 26 education version. This is the file I am trying to import: https://fbinter.stadt-berlin.de/fb/atom/LOD2/LoD2_395_5820.zip

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
runxel
Legend

The alleged "XML" file you downloaded there from FIS Broker aren't really XML files 😉

They are CityGML and can't be read by Archicad. The KIT has a tool called FZKViewer, which can be installed on Windows. This program allows viewing CityGML files and also converting them to STL and IFC. Although I have to say I find it quite buggy and slow.

QGIS had a plugin for CityGML as well, and I guess other GIS apps can read those files, too. Maybe someone in the urban planning department of your university can help you.

I never thought it was worth the hustle, tho. Even the LoD2 is still pretty bad from its detail level and can more or less only be used as a rough reference. It was always faster for me to just download the shapefiles from FIS Broker (via its WFS through QGIS) and extrude them directly.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution
runxel
Legend

The alleged "XML" file you downloaded there from FIS Broker aren't really XML files 😉

They are CityGML and can't be read by Archicad. The KIT has a tool called FZKViewer, which can be installed on Windows. This program allows viewing CityGML files and also converting them to STL and IFC. Although I have to say I find it quite buggy and slow.

QGIS had a plugin for CityGML as well, and I guess other GIS apps can read those files, too. Maybe someone in the urban planning department of your university can help you.

I never thought it was worth the hustle, tho. Even the LoD2 is still pretty bad from its detail level and can more or less only be used as a rough reference. It was always faster for me to just download the shapefiles from FIS Broker (via its WFS through QGIS) and extrude them directly.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Debby
Participant

Hi, thank you so much for the info and the links! Will try with the FZKViewer and if all fails, with your method. Cheers!