Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Does anyone use Calculation?

lagodue
Newcomer
Recently, I spent several days trying to get a simple framing schedule for a deck. After hours with the manual, and many more hours of screwing around with various list schemes, and many more hours communicating with various G'Soft "experts" I remain baffled by the Calculation feature.

I am no stranger to relational databases, having cut my teeth on Foxbase. However, this Calculation stuff (except at its most basic level) is so completely ill-explained.

Lessee, in the history of ArchiCAD Talk Forum there are a total of 37 topics about Calculation, yet thousands about other subjects. This suggests to me this is not a closely-followed topic! Is there anyone out there really using this thing? You wouldn't think so, based on the conversation around here.

It is ridiculous that G'soft can create such an elegant/intuitive CAD model-building environment, while Calculation languishes in the geekdom of relational database development. Just try making sense out of Descriptors and Components and thinking about a simple quantity take-off and ending up with something that doesn't require an export to another application to be used.

Hint to G'soft -
1 Show a half-dozen REAL WORLD uses of list creation and a step-by-step description of how "easy" it is done.
2 Redesign the entire thing to be as easy to do as something in FileMaker (former Claris product.)
3 Drop it from the product, in the same way the Interior Wizard should be dropped becuz it doesn't work either.

OK - rant off
"Bob" - Church of the Sub-Genius
Graphisoft afficionado since 1993
9 REPLIES 9
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
If you have experience with relational databases, I would suggest you install the ODBC Driver and link directly into the plan via ODBC with a decent relational database like filemaker or access (the information gained through ODBC is slightly limited as opposed to property scripts/objects but still very handy. Else create txt files via the property scripts(for objects) and property objects(for elements) to get quantities. Once you nut out the text input output syntax the rest is easy.
Absolutely anything and everything can be accessed, but you will need to put in a bit of work.
Lessee, in the history of ArchiCAD Talk Forum there are a total of 37 topics about Calculation
BTW I dont think this calculate section has been running very long.

Cheers

Ben
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
TomWaltz
Participant
Ben's right, the Calculation section was only introduced a couple months ago.

We use the Interactive Scheduler all the time. The other stuff..... well, let's just say it's collected dust since we installed Archicad 8.0 two years ago.
Tom Waltz
Rick Thompson
Expert
Not sure what the "new" is in reference to, but I have been using the calculation functions for years to generate material list. I know I have been personally involved with many post. It is a pain to figure out, and the "directions" have not improved. At one time it had its own booklet. But, it does work, and can be quite powerful. It takes a lot of time to figure out and set up (at least for me). Once set up it's fairly easy and you just add to it as you go along (additional property scripts and linking). You can search my post (if you like) as I know there is a good bit already posted.

send me you email and I will email you a pdf manual that might help.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben wrote:
If you have experience with relational databases, I would suggest you install the ODBC Driver and link directly into the plan via ODBC with a decent relational database like filemaker or access ...
Ben and all,
Using SQL seems like an interesting prospect. I like the idea of being able to query the models and generate reports from something like Filemaker or Access...Obviously, this wouldn't be a solution for the casual user but could be a potentially powerful method for more technically integrated companies like large volume builders, construction contractors etc. This could be a more direct way to link information generated from a model into other Back Office systems.

Perhaps Karl or someone can comment on this potential. By the way, maybe someone could also comment on how quantified info is delivered in newer products like constructor/estimator....how about ArchiFM as well?

Thanks,
Dan k
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben wrote:
If you have experience with relational databases, I would suggest you install the ODBC Driver and link directly into the plan via ODBC with a decent relational database like filemaker or access (the information gained through ODBC is slightly limited as opposed to property scripts/objects but still very handy...
Ben
I posted a comment a while back regarding the potential of SQL and haven't seen any response. Is anybody out there exploring this possibility??? Karl you out there?...please chime in with a comment or two

The idea of querying any ArchiCAD PLN file outside of archiCAD is very enticing! I'm relatively new to SQL and have only played with the SQL prompt inside of ArchiCAD. You can really get some informative results without having to set up special listing routine or Interactive Schedules

Imagine what you could do with any DBMS by not having to work directly inside of ArchiCAD...the possibilities are incredible.

Many users may not yet be aware of this feature. If so, go to your ArchiCAD help menu and do a search for "SQL"...you'll find some interesting info there.

Please explore and let us know your thoughts about it

Dan K
TomWaltz
Participant
I've JUST started playing with it, and looking for possibilities, but no real results yet.
Tom Waltz
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
I'm relatively new to SQL and have only played with the SQL prompt inside of ArchiCAD. You can really get some informative results without having to set up special listing routine or Interactive Schedules

Access and Filemaker have a Query or SQL wizard, that will create the sql for you. (Although it pays to know a little)
I have used the ODBC engine and Filemaker to create energy rating forms (with relevant data gained from ArchiCAD), bills of quantities, Rapid estimating Databases, Furniture schedules, finish schedules, etc etc.
Like I said, if you have a bit of experience in Databases, the ODBC engine is the go. It will let you do ANY sort of calculation on the raw ArchiCAD data. (yes you can get into library part parameters) But be prepared . I think I have about 40 separate tables of data (from the pln) all linked to each other. Do not attempt this with filemaker 6.0. It would be possible but you would need 40 completely separate files. Access would handle it NP

Good luck

lagodue said
2 Redesign the entire thing to be as easy to do as something in FileMaker (former Claris product.)

just use filemaker!!!!
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Karl Ottenstein
Dan wrote:
I posted a comment a while back regarding the potential of SQL and haven't seen any response. Is anybody out there exploring this possibility??? Karl you out there?...please chime in with a comment or two
Sorry guys, missed this thread ... have been traveling and cranking on projects.

I agree with Ben that the ODBC driver has a lot to offer ... but only to Windows users. AFAIK, there is still no announced plan for a Mac version.

The ODBC is a one-way ticket - information is read-only. (Anyone needing 2-way interaction has to write a custom add-on via the API.)

An interesting thing to note is that the data scheme for the ODBC driver is not the same as for the SQL command in the Calculate menu. Thus, if you use Access to construct a query based on the ODBC schema, that query may not work if pasted into the Calculate Menu SQL box. Don't ask me why they did this; I'm just the messenger. 😉

The Calculate forum is new. Previously, these topics were covered in other forums. Do a Search for SQL (for example) to find those other messages...if the admin still allows 3-letter searches.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am using Calculation for certain purposes. One is to create Zone lists for the Building permit phase of the design.
The other is a similar one, but a more complex one. It involves writing out data to files, then regenerating the list during which phase it reads back data from those files and creates the list. This is used in Marketing materials for apartments. I attach one such page.
From data of the Zone, I generate text strings like the exact location of a flat (City, street, number, floor etc.), the number of rooms/half rooms/balconies, and various other data needed for marketing documents. These string are then displayed in the list. One such page is made for each apartment.
So we use it quite extensively. But it required creating special zone stamps and creating special graphic templates.
PS.: Sorry, the attached stuff is in Hungarian
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27