Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

File size on BIMcloud22

agroni
Booster
hi,
is it possible that a Teamwork file on the BIMcloud22 shows the file size including all snapshots (backups)???
One of our files has 6.7Gb and just by duplicating it (in BIMcloud) the file size dropped to 2.3Gb!

The duplicated file does not have the backups, hence my only explanation for the file reduction.
Or did somehow also the Cache got clean by this duplication?
The BIMster @ AllesWirdGut
Currently: Archicad 26
User since Archicad 6.5 (2001)
6 REPLIES 6
Hello,

Could you specify where do you view the weight of these files and their format?
A shared file is neither a pln nor a pla nor even a file itself but rather a database, compare them is not relevant. It is also common to note that a PLN file will correspond to a heavier shared project in teamwork via BimCloud. I have not yet found that a PLN is heavier than its shared version via BimCloud. Often, you export a PLN file from BimCloud to purge it of obsolete resources and then redistribute it to get a much lighter sharing project ... But I have not looked into the cause yet.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
agroni
Booster
What I meant was solely projects that are stored on the BIMcloud. It has nothing to do with a PLN, since I am also aware about differentiation in file size between PLN and a BIMcloudproject.
In the BIMcloudManager there is an option to duplicate a project. This duplication occurs directly in the BIMcloudManager, hence noticed the file reduction.

I wanted to investigate a case about the file size and one of the options was to duplicate this BIMcloudProject. Dropping from 6,7 to 2.3 Gb just by duplicating, is for me a very big misterious step.
Yes I understood well and I know this manipulation well if I use it too little. But the strong finding that a BimCloud file repatriated locally and then shared again can lose a lot of weight is a track of understanding that I thought interesting to submit.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi,

Size of a Teamwork project can easily be decreased as it lose all ballast - information from inactive user's cache, for example. From this point, duplication is similar to a re-share.

It's only an educated guess, but in extreme situations, when for example a user is inactive for a year or more, it is possible to lose that amount of data what you mentioned.

Kind regards,

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

agroni
Booster
nbalogh wrote:
It's only an educated guess, but in extreme situations, when for example a user is inactive for a year or more, it is possible to lose that amount of data what you mentioned.
It is probably what you are stating here, sadly i cannot dive deeper and look at the file.
But one thing here is for sure that there were no inactive users for more then a week. In addition the teamfile had been previously (around two months ago) deleted and reuploaded to the BIMcloud. That is the reason why it caught my attention, that in such a small amount of time the file of this project simply exploaded. It was gaining 1Gb per week!

Currently I am monitoring this file, and so far it is growing, but not at that previous rate.
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin
agroni wrote:
nbalogh wrote:
It is probably what you are stating here, sadly i cannot dive deeper and look at the file.
But one thing here is for sure that there were no inactive users for more then a week. In addition the teamfile had been previously (around two months ago) deleted and reuploaded to the BIMcloud. That is the reason why it caught my attention, that in such a small amount of time the file of this project simply exploaded. It was gaining 1Gb per week!

Currently I am monitoring this file, and so far it is growing, but not at that previous rate.
Another simple idea, that some DWGs were exploded and deleted from the file lately? I don't know. I recommend to contact your local support (A-null, if I'm right) with a Support Package if the file size grows that fast again.

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin