Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing File from Sketch Up

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, which is the best way to import sketch up file from landscape consultant to Archicad 21?
the file there are big and have a lot of polygon.
Thanks for any suggestion.
7 REPLIES 7
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
ArchiCAD can open .SKP files (up to the previous version to the latest release ussually).

It will convert the whole file to a single object.

You could convert this to a morph afterwards, if you wish to modify it.

I would say ArchiCAD is more capable at handling high polycount than sketchup.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Karl Ottenstein
To add to Erwin's reply - AC 21 can open (via Merge) SKP files up to SKP 2017. I recommend converting to Morphs (right click the placed object > convert to morph) because in the conversion process, the Morphs will be grouped according to the original SketchUp layers. This allows you (with groups suspended) some ability to assign pieces of the import to different ARCHICAD layers for visibility / editing control.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl monday I will try again following your instruction.
I let you know
Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi! This what I get when I try to import the file.
Thanks
Karl Ottenstein
giuseppe wrote:
Hi! This what I get when I try to import the file.
Thanks
Must have a lot of 3D trees and things from the landscape designer maybe? I've not seen that message with just architectural things...

You'll have to open the file in SketchUp to see what's going on and determine either (a) what you can omit, or (b) how you can re-save the file in pieces with different elements turned on so that the resulting SKP files have a low enough poly count for the import.

If the file is an older version of SketchUp, you can still download SketchUp Make 2017 for free to do the above. Make is discontinued after 2017.
https://www.sketchup.com/download/make

If it is a 2018 format file, you'll have to use the browser-based SketchUp Free:
https://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-free

If you have slow internet, it take a little while for the app to load into the browser. To upload your file, you use the associated free Trimble Connect cloud storage.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks
I will try to divide the file in parts, and will see.
Thanks
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I wonder if they are working on that file in Sketchup then... In the past when we would work together on bigger master plans where there are multiple architect firms and some are using sketchup, they would have a lot of issues importing my ArchiCAD models because sketchup couldn't handle the higher poly count of having all the nice details from window objects and such.

Maybe sketchup has gotten better than ArchiCAD at handling high polycount?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5