Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Problems with accessing BIM Server

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I installed ArchiCAD 15 a few days ago. While generally pleased with it I also wanted to test BIM Server for the first time. I installed it on a dedicated server (Mac mini Server). The installation went exactly according to plan, including the creation of the administrator account. Using BIM Server Manager I created additional user accounts. This all went straight forward.

Then I tried to access the server for the first time from AC15 running on my laptop. Login went without a problem. Trying to share the AC file, however, was an entirely different story altogether. This did not work. Instead I received the following error messages:

- Error during File Creation

- Error Occurred while opening the File

- Error occurred during the last Teamwork operation!
Create project content failed.

I tried all kinds of things, checked file permissions, turned off fire walls, checked if File Sharing was active on my laptop. All in vain.

Then I installed the BIM Server on my very own laptop hoping that this would solve the issue. No success.

A friend of mine runs AC14 on his older Mac laptop. I added the AC14 support to the BIM Server. After that sharing a file from his laptop went flawless. Trying to access that very file from my laptop (of course, using AC14) resulted in similar error messages as stated above.

I checked with the tech support of my distributor who suspects that my problems may result from my having multiple copies of ArchiCAD installed on my very same laptop computer.

For the sake of backward compatibility I have versions 6.5, 7, and 9 through 15 installed on my computer. Versions 10 through 15 I have both as EDU versions and PRO versions. I am a faculty of architecture and regularly teach CAD/BIM. I need access to the EDU versions of ArchiCAD for school and the PRO version for my private practice.

The tech support suggested that this double installation may be the source for my BIM Server conflicts.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who is experiencing similar issues or who could shed some light on this.

I thank all of you in advance,

Florian Techel, Dubai, UAE
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
You can have every version of ArchiCAD ever created and it will not cause a BIM Server or other problem.

Since you say you were testing BS for the first time, I assume that you did not install the BS for 13 or 14? If you did, but just never used them, then you might uninstall those. (Not ArchiCAD, just the BIM Servers for 13/14.)

There were no reports such as yours during beta and pre-release testing. Because adding the 14 module to your BS allowed a friend to access things, the problem appears to me to be with your user account, not with the BS.

Sounds like you have already run a full repair permissions on your laptop and a disk repair (from a bootable CD)? If so, then try creating a fresh user account on your laptop and see if you can access the shared project from that account.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Karl,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

Normally I am quite paranoid about backups, harddisk integrity checks and permissions (I normally do the latter about once a month). However, as I ran the Permissions check again I started to think if it may have something to do with access rights.

The way I have configured my Mac is with two accounts: an administrator account and a user account. Someone explained to me several years ago that this is a safer way of running a UNIX computer as any possible virus or malware attack could (worst case) infect that respective account but not the entire computer.

Once I switched to the admin account on my Mac, launched AC15 again, the Teamwork Share function worked flawless. The only problem I have now is that I actually like my safe way of running the Mac. I think I cannot be the only one that has configured his/her computer in such a way. I think that in large offices computers are probably set up with an admin account and several user accounts.

Do you, or does anyone know, on which folders one would need to change the access rights in order to be able to run ArchiCAD Teamwork properly even though one would run the Mac in client mode?

Thanks in advance,

Florian Techel, Dubai
piton
Newcomer
florian wrote:
Instead I received the following error messages:

It would be great if in the next fix AC would tell us, which file and path it has the problem with. Or is it available in some log?
Have the same problem on AC14 4044. I think the problem is permission-related in the local computer, as I can acces the server and create new users on it remotely, and from other computers others can join the same project.
piton
Newcomer
I found the error that caused my problem, maybe it's a solution for you too.

So I have a WinXP account that I can log on to from different computers on the LAN.
In this account GS stores a file (HUN language):
"Documents and Settings\USER\Graphisoft\CsM Adat\TWDataOptions.xml"
(EN possibly "Documents and Settings\USER\Graphisoft\TW Data\TWDataOptions.xml"

which has entries:

<LocalDataFolderPath> and <LocalDataFolder>

these pointed to a folder that was not present on all the computers that I used to log on to, because of different drive letters.

This corresponds to the setting (HUN):
Csapatmunka->Projekt->Helyi adatkezelő->Beállítások->Helyi adatmappa

However I was unable to change the setting from Archicad, because it tried to move the folder, failing at trying to read the nonexisting folder.

(EN possibly)
Teamwork->Project->Local Data Manager->Settings->Local Data Folder
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wanted to say that I was experiencing the exact same set of error messages described in the original post for AC15 and AC14 but my problem did not have to do with account privileges as in florian's case but maybe more like what piton was describing earlier...

We're on Mac's here not PC's but the problem had to do with some weirdness around the location of my local teamwork data folder. I had reset the path for this content to go to a remote server computer back in AC13 teamwork a couple of years ago. This pathway persisted (not sure where) even after I uninstalled all of my BIM Server and BIM Server Manager modules. I only noticed this after opening the AC15 'Local Data Manager' dialog in the Teamwork menu and clicking the 'Options' button. However, I was not able to change this pathway using the AC15 program itself. I actually had to uninstall my AC15 BIM Server a second time so that I could re-install the AC13 BIM Server again which incidentally reset the former remote pathway back to my local hard drive and made everything better again.

Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone else runs into the same problem.