Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ACAD LT dwgs won't open, heeeelp

Anonymous
Not applicable
I received AutoCAD LT dwg files, but they won’t open. No conversion dialogs, no questions, error messages, nothing, only blanc empty window resulting. LT files are in 2000 format, we tried also R14, the same.
I tried AC 7.0, 8.1 and PM, open... and merge..., no success.
This has happened several times before and I remember seeing similar questions on this list, but I can’t find them. I have very poor knowledge of AutoCAD and Windows, so what’s going on?
21 REPLIES 21
Djordje
Ace
kari wrote:
I just heard that in Budapest it is a well known problem that “some AutoCAD versions” produce DWG which AC cannot open.
Well, just happened the other day, to a colleague. Now the job is in question, as the probation is in progress and it is a single ArchiCAD in an AutoCAD office. Not nice.

Saving down to R12 or 14 usually helps, too. IMHE the problem is mostly with AutoCAD 2000 or 2002 files with multiple PaperSpace layouts.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Happened now and then too, stripped down AutoCAD drawing, no multiple layouts...
could it be a shape scaled unequal xy?z

We do a lot acad drawing imports...
Now WAITING for a fixed dwg import module from Hungary

Petri
www.evata.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problem.

My solution is to open them in AC7 - no problem there -
Because 7 opens much faster this is and advantage. Presently I am running the (2) AC8 Copies as it comes and (4) AC7s. Usually I need to open (3) different DWGs to coordinate things.
fuzzytnth3
Booster
One thing I've found is that Adobe Illustrator can open dwgs that ArchiCAD 7.0v3 can't.

You can then save it from Illustrator as a dwg and then ArchiCAD is happy with the Illustrator version.

Other weird thing is that the engineer's that have the version of AutoCAD that is giving us grief, have also tried saving in an earlier version of AutoCAD ie ver 14 but they still don't work. We found the only thing that ArchiCAD can manage to open are DXFs. Sadly that means arcs and the like don't always come in as arcs but facetted lines yuck!
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Eduardo Rolon
Get the engineers to run the audit and recover command in their dwgs with AutoCAD.

Sometimes when using the boundary command or inserting a wblock in a dwg you get invalid polygons/hatches that wreak havok on AC imports and sometimes on AutoCAD too.

If you want to verify this just ask that your consultants press F2 after opening the file and see if there is a message about invalid entries.

The reason is that if the dxf works that means that there is some specific data within the dwg that is corrupted and since the dxf and plt are more compatible they eliminate that info and you can import the file.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

fuzzytnth3
Booster
ejrolon wrote:
Get the engineers to run the audit and recover command in their dwgs with AutoCAD.

Sometimes when using the boundary command or inserting a wblock in a dwg you get invalid polygons/hatches that wreak havok on AC imports and sometimes on AutoCAD too.
Thanks for that, I will have a word with them and let you know if that worked. I did notice when I opened the DXF that I got an error saying that an entity was ignored as it wasn't recognised. I wonder if that could be due to some problem like you are saying.

Thanks
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Just a wee note to say that the Engineer tried the Audit Recover command and found 16 errors. Gave the repairwed file another go and the only version that worked was the DXF same as before.

When importing the DXF it still kicks up an error as before

Start time : Thu, 13 May, 2004 4:15:35 pm
I/O file : "34317-Roof_Plans_r2000.dxf"

Invalid polygon, self intersection or hole intersects boundary.
Undocumented entities found.

Undocumented entities were found. They are not processed:
REGION : 8

End time : Thu, 13 May, 2004 4:16:11 pm
Elapsed time : 36 seconds

Looks like we are sticking with DXFs then
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Eduardo Rolon
Looks like invalid hatches or blocks in the file. Just to try ask them to erase all hatches, explode everything in the file except plines and dims, then do an audit on the file.
it could also be blocks with attributes in AutoCAD created with a previous version or ADT, explode them also.
If this works then you can start to narrow the problem to find the culprit.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to revive an old thread.

I have also been experienceing the same problem with dwg files. Although the files that are causing the issues for us, aren't from AutoCAD LT.. Our different consultants use AutoCAD 14, 2000 or 2004.

This is a headache for us because most of our workstations are mac.. therefore they have to bug someone with a windows machine to convert the dwg to a dxf.

Has anyone found out how to fix this problem?
Karl Ottenstein
belly917 wrote:
I have also been experienceing the same problem with dwg files. Although the files that are causing the issues for us, aren't from AutoCAD LT.. Our different consultants use AutoCAD 14, 2000 or 2004.
Your signature says "8.1" ... I can't recall if 8.1 could read 2004 format. But if you are actually using 9.0, then 2004 is of course OK, but to read 2000, you want to install the plug-in in the Goodies\DXF-DWG 2K In-Out folder.

No idea if the specific problems are any better ... just thought I'd share the above in case that helps any.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB