Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD / Revit Architectural Challenge!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hope I am posting this at the right place....

I have a challenge for any Revit / ArchiCAD Users on this Form.

After having a lot of people asking me which is better and if there has ever been a comparison done between the two I have decided to make a complete comparison. But I need some help on this.

I need a Revit user that works on Revit Architectural 2008 / 9 to help on this. I want to take different tasks and do them both on ArchiCAD12 and Revit. Then by using either screen prints or videos, compare the two. And see which one does it better, quicker, can or cannot do it.

Thus at the end of the day I should have i file with both the pro's and cons of both software packages.

The Rules are:

1. No external applications may be used. Such as rendering software and or modeling software like Maxon Form. With the exception to when testing is done on file export functions like dwg/dxf/pdf etc.
2. Revit / Archicad must be used with the default settings. Thus no previous set up of favorites allowed, or previous hatches/fills created, etc.
3. Each User will get to set a challenge, explaining what must be done, what the end result must be and or consist of.
4. Every step needed to finish the challenge must be documented in either video or graphic format. Thus every click you do or setting you change.
5. Make the challenges realistic, yet difficult and easy. Remmebering that the point is to see the weakness and strength of each program.
6. Each user has 2-3 days to complete the challenge and report back with their graphics / videos.
7. Users must also have some fun while doing the challenge.
8. Be honest and open minded during all challenges.
9. If you can not complete a challenge you just skip and move to next challenge.

After all challenges have been done, i will take all graphics / videos and compile a proper document showing all differences. Everybody participating in this will obviously receive a copy of this file.

So who out there is up for this? Please only reply if you are truly willing to participate.

Either reply to this post or send me your contact information and I will be get in touch with you.
29 REPLIES 29
This sounds fun already. Thanks for the mention of Geoff Langdon and the Shootouts. He died last year and is sorely missed. Maybe if we pull this mano-a-mano version off we could tackle something bigger.

Hey, let's do this at the Sylvia Hotel. http://www.sylviahotel.com/

Like Wes said, details to come.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight's offered his house. Which place serves the better beer?
Dwight
Newcomer
How many are we?

Just for fun, who would attend such a meeting?
Dwight Atkinson
TomWaltz
Participant
Harry wrote:
Schedules/Zones/Calculation etc
Rvt and AC seem to have similar abilities
Not really. Revit has two long-sought features: the ability to add parameters on the fly to entire categories of elements in your project and the ability to perform calculations between columns of your schedule.

Graphically, you can insert a blank row into the schedule, separating groups of elements (like, first floor doors from second floor doors). It's a little thing, but makes a nicer looking schedule.
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
The late GML also popped into my mind.

The structure of the Architectural CAD shootouts was quite good, mimicking the actual production of a project. It of course has tested - as is always the case - the proficiency of the users present. So the comparison is possible only between two people who know the app inside out, AND know the design and docs process. Lacking anything of the above for any of the participants will result in a wrong result.

The last shootout I had a part in happened about 10 years ago ... the competitors were ADT, ARC+ and ArchiCAD. When we arrived, the Autodesk guys saw me, packed up and went, saying "nothing for us here". The ARC+ guy tried his very best, but he was the concept guy, never did a con doc in his life.

So there ... maybe the other software would fare better in better hands?

And, Harry, you CAN place both columns and beams on the Grid in ArchiCAD 11, although the Grid tool is only in 12 approacing usable without advance planning.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
How many are we?

If I were close at all I'd love to be there. As for the beer thing, I would propose having the beer tasting first. Say for a couple of hours anyway to warm things up.

Then we would really be able to see how easy to use and intuitive the each software was!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
How many are we?

If I were close at all I'd love to be there. As for the beer thing, I would propose having the beer tasting first. Say for a couple of hours anyway to warm things up.

Then we would really be able to see how easy to use and intuitive the each software was!
Djordje
Ace
Naaah ...

The audience brings a keg each, in lieu of the chairs. The contestants are not allowed any food or drink until they finish.

Horrible ... I am horrible ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
I'm spitting dust already.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
This should be done someplace with video streaming capabilities. Lots of bandwith.