cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad vs Sketchup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Further to my email a few months ago now which some may remember in which I slagged off Archicad and stated that Autocad and 2d was still the way to go I want to modify that statement.

Ive tried Sketchup recently and god does that program poo all over Archicad! Its amazing and its so intuitive and easy to use. Its not like Archicad at all.

So now I am convinced that the way to go is Sketchup for up to planning/concepts and then converting to 2d Autocad after planning. I cerainly dont see Archicad featuring in the future of architecture much at all unless you are a house designer.

I would certainly ask any doubters to try Sketchup and then tell me I am wrong. I know the argument for archicad is its true BIM 'and all that' but I dont need 'all that'. I need a simple way of doing client friendly 3d designs and Sketchup is it. What I dont need is Archicads inflexible and complex object based mentality. I just dont need it.

Ive just done a great looking 3d house in Sketchup in 3 days that would have taken me a month to do in Archicad. And no I wouldnt have then saved the wroking drg time because you cant use Archicad to do working drawings I can tell you that as a fact.

So you see I havent changed my mind, I dont like Archicad as I am a design orientated architect not an IT freak.
65 REPLIES 65
Eduardo Rolon
Why can't we have a Hammer and a Screwdriver?

Where does it say that if I use SketchUp I cannot use Archicad or vice-versa?

Why is it a sin to do the volumetric study in SketchUp and the construction docs in AC?

This post was started saying that if you knew how to use SU you don't need to use AC. My point has been that they are good at what they do and their main purpose are different and IT IS OK to have DIFFERENT TOOLS for different jobs.

PS.
Since I work on a computer and I drive to work, Why can't I have a computer/car in which I can work while I drive?
PPS.
I wish I could edit renderings in AC like I do in Photoshop. Why doesn't GS drop everything and implement this?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

I think this thread has gone on for too long. Somebody start a new 'ArchiCAD vs Revit' thread!
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Ignacio" wrote:
I think this thread has gone on for too long. Somebody start a new 'ArchiCAD vs Revit' thread!

I agree
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes... it's true... Tedious...
Anonymous
Not applicable
nats wrote:
Further to my email a few months ago now which some may remember in which I slagged off Archicad and stated that Autocad and 2d was still the way to go I want to modify that statement.

Ive tried Sketchup recently and god does that program poo all over Archicad! Its amazing and its so intuitive and easy to use. Its not like Archicad at all.

So now I am convinced that the way to go is Sketchup for up to planning/concepts and then converting to 2d Autocad after planning. I cerainly dont see Archicad featuring in the future of architecture much at all unless you are a house designer.

I would certainly ask any doubters to try Sketchup and then tell me I am wrong. I know the argument for archicad is its true BIM 'and all that' but I dont need 'all that'. I need a simple way of doing client friendly 3d designs and Sketchup is it. What I dont need is Archicads inflexible and complex object based mentality. I just dont need it.

Ive just done a great looking 3d house in Sketchup in 3 days that would have taken me a month to do in Archicad. And no I wouldnt have then saved the wroking drg time because you cant use Archicad to do working drawings I can tell you that as a fact.

So you see I havent changed my mind, I dont like Archicad as I am a design orientated architect not an IT freak.

...troll
Anonymous
Not applicable
From all that is posted it is obvious that Nats never took any serious shot at AC. I used to think that Sketchup was "the thing" until I took time and understood Archicad. I really don't understand why would anyone continue using Sketchup when there is Archicad!