Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Calculating LF of Roof Valleys and Ridges

Has anyone come up with a working method or creative workaround for this?

I'd like to schedule the sum of roof ridges and valleys in lineal feet.

The roof planks alone won't do it.

My thought would be to create lengths of roof that correspond in pitch and length to the ridges and valleys. isolate them on a non-printing layer and create a schedule item for them.

That seems pretty tedious. Any ideas about a better way?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5030 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.5
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Aaron,

You could try with ArchiPIPE ...
Use the wire view (turn off the label too) to place the lines (with no connections) along your ridges and valleys (you can set an ID for ridges and valleys)
After all the objects are placed, you can turn the 3d view off and create a schedule using its special parameter that contain the length of the sloped segments.
I didn't try it but I think it can pretty do the job.
Hope that helps.

Edit: Typo
Karl Ottenstein
Have you tried Roofmaker? Wonder if you cannot have it just insert ridge and valley beams and sum their lengths? If you already have roof structure, then these extra ones could just go on a different layer for calc purposes...?

Dunno,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thanks Guys.

I'll try both and report back.

The tract home builders seem to regard this issue as a deal maker/breaker. Don't know what they did before BIM.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5030 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.5
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Aaron wrote:
I'd like to schedule the sum of roof ridges and valleys in lineal feet. My thought would be to create lengths of roof that correspond in pitch and length to the ridges and valleys. isolate them on a non-printing layer and create a schedule item for them. Any ideas about a better way?
Take a look at FrameWright. It's designed to do this kind of scheduling, including cut lists that round to required size increments and group timber with common dimensions.

I've attached an example image, from which I've used the live scheduling to extract all timber named "Tapered", which form the majority of the principle rafters (in your case they might be hip/ridge/valley etc). The selection can then be saved to a spreadsheet, either as a timber schedule (which lists every stick with literal dimensions) or cutting list (rounding to required increments and grouping common sizes).

More info at: http://www.encina.co.uk/framewright_pro.html
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Just place a beam at each hip, valley, and ridge.
You can make the slope of the beam match the slope of the hip or valley.
You can make the beam .001 X.001 if you don't want to see it in certain views. Or just use your layers.

The total lengths can be summarized in a schedule.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Rick Thompson
Expert
Aaron, I use the Roof Wizard for this, and it does the job. You can run it with or without rafters. I have a script you can insert in the library that will round up to the nearest 2 foot increments to give you actual lumber sizes. If that is of help I can send it to you.

I'll attach what I end up with. THe 2x10's are the valleys and ridges.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display