Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Converting XYZ data to usable data

Josh Verran
Advisor

My query relates to altering/converting XYZ files so Archicad can utilize them without errors.

I'm hoping this is the right forum for that.

We get XYZ files from various sources (topographic surveyors), they always come in slightly different from the last, which is understandable, eg sometimes the first column is an ID, sometimes the X and Y column are back to front, sometimes theres -999 Z data that we don't want in mesh etc.

Up until now, I have been performing the below operations to make the data usable ("place mesh from survey data"). Think there must be some way (maybe through macros and VBA - I have little to no knowledge) to setup a template excel file that can read a source, then export to a given format with target range.

• Opening a blank excel file
  • Get data from csv
  • Copy the three XYZ columns
  • Paste to new worksheet,
  • Export as txt file
  • Open txt file
  • Save as
  • Change encoding to ANSI.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER | LinkedIn | My Top Wishes

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

Perth, Australia and Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)

2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

There is an article that talks about this topic, which you may find useful:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-articles/Importing-Point-Clouds-and-Modelling-the-Terrain...

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Josh Verran
Advisor

Thanks @Laszlo Nagy  that's a great article.
I've only started playing around with point cloud files in the last few months.
Can see lots of possibilities.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER | LinkedIn | My Top Wishes

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

Perth, Australia and Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)