Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Cross platform using - font problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I am dealing with a problem with fonts using ArchiCAD crossplatform mac/win.

Is there any functional solution for companies using both platforms? When we want to have schedules and any other graphics exactly the same on both platforms? The fact is, that win fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, Calibri) are not correct for shedules in mac because of they are not fully unicoded and we work with cze font families.

I red about Xreadcfg file, but I wasnt abble to make it funcional? Have anyone any advice? THX a lot.

M.
17 REPLIES 17
zoli79
Enthusiast
This has become a problem for us as well. Our office uses Mac OS and we were testing remote work on a Windows machine. Our typical fonts are Arial Narrow, Trade Gothic. On windows these fonts don't show up as missing but their spacing is larger, resulting in rows blending into each other, longer rows and even cropped out texts.
Doing some google research, I found that webdesigners suggested as a general rule of thumb that if you work on Windows, it should look fine on a Mac, but if you work on Mac it will look crappy on Windows. Great...

I wonder if anyone has a solution for this issue or was this covered in another thread here?
macOS 16, ArchiCAD 27 (USA)
first ArchiCAD: 6.5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is just a guess from me.
There is a file called

XReadCfg.txt

in the

C:\Program Files\GRAPHISOFT\ARCHICAD 20 INT\Add-Ons

folder. It is a configuration file for cross-platform font conversion.
Maybe you need to configure this file properly.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
zoli79
Enthusiast
Thanks a lot! I'll look into that file.
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
We're having the same problem. Any luck adjusting the configuration file?
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
zoli79
Enthusiast
Not much, but I haven't gone too far with it, because we figured it would be best if my partner bought a Mac Mini for himself and not deal with potential issues like that.
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
We're still having problems with the font conversion, since we're now integrating Windows computers into our Mac office. We use a font called Swis721, which is similar to Arial/Arial Narrow, but much nicer. Even after it's installed in Windows, and the XReadCfg.txt is configured right (I checked it with tech support), it only works sporadically. Some computers, it's great, and sometimes, the fonts are substituted with something close, while others, the font substitution is illegible. All of these machines are identical and set up the same way! I'm a little rusty with Windows, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to control this default substitution in Windows 10.

I hate Microsoft so much. JMHO.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Da3dalus wrote:
We're still having problems with the font conversion, since we're now integrating Windows computers into our Mac office. We use a font called Swis721, which is similar to Arial/Arial Narrow, but much nicer. Even after it's installed in Windows, and the XReadCfg.txt is configured right (I checked it with tech support), it only works sporadically. Some computers, it's great, and sometimes, the fonts are substituted with something close, while others, the font substitution is illegible. All of these machines are identical and set up the same way! I'm a little rusty with Windows, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to control this default substitution in Windows 10.

I hate Microsoft so much. JMHO.
Hi Chuck,

Thank you for reporting the issue here and I am sorry about the experience!

Matching fonts between OS is never an easy task! I have asked our Technical Support team to take a look at this. To have a deeper investigation of finding out the root of the issue, I'm wondering if you could share with us:

- The XReadCfg.txt file from the Add-Ons folder (https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/60740/)
- Screenshot of a font select dropdown in ARCHICAD that shows the Swis721 fonts
- System Information or System Report (https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/95408/)
- Full-screen screenshot of a text selected in the same project in ARCHICAD with the Info Box visible (you may want to drag the Info Box from the workspace to have it as a separate palette on the screen to give a total look)

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Sculptdesign
Booster
Hi, I'm having this issue with a font callde 'PX Grotesk', on windows it has two separate font names:
PX Grotesk - Regular / PX Grotesk Bold

On Mac it is one font with a sub-selection for the weight:
PX Grotesk > Regular / Bold

I have a Windows laptop and an iMac in the office so this is a regular issue and I have king of given up changing every time, which is not good.

I am in the process of developing our main template file and this is holding up the process. I've just also installed AC24 and the issue still persists.

Shall I send in the files/screen shots previously mentioned? How do I send them?

Ash.
ArchiCAD 26 Solo - Mac
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Ash,

Thank you for the question and I am sorry about the issue!

I have sent you a link via Private Message, with which you can securely forward the file to us for further investigation.

Please let me know once you have finished uploading the file!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT