Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DXF-DWG translation problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I'm struggling with dwg export to (mainly) Autocad. I'm trying to export correct units and linetype scales, but unfortunately I can't get them both working together at the same time.

My assumptions (Archicad):
Working scale: 1:100
Drawing scale on layout: 1:100 (100%)
Drawing units: cm
Save layout into: Model Space

As You can see in my example:
1) Autocad v1 has:
a) wrong scale (1 unit = 0,1cm)
b) good linetype scale (spacing)

2) Autocad v2 has:
a) good scale (1 unit = 1cm)
b) wrong linetype scale (spacing)

Also changing the "Ltscale value in output File" to 10,0 or 0,1 in Archicad translator doesn't change anything visually in dwg because somehow Autocad "Linetype scale" is hardcoded into 0.1 because of Archicad scale 1:100.

10 REPLIES 10
Podolsky
Ace
Have you tried DWG template file in translator? You can set as many parameters in DWG, as possible (for example page size, monochrome pens in layout, layers, hatches, lines, fonts). When ArchiCAD will create new DWG, it will be based on the settings of template file.
Please note, that if you want to use hatches and line types - place them in the DWG template.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Podolsky wrote:
Have you tried DWG template file in translator? You can set as many parameters in DWG, as possible (for example page size, monochrome pens in layout, layers, hatches, lines, fonts). When ArchiCAD will create new DWG, it will be based on the settings of template file.
Please note, that if you want to use hatches and line types - place them in the DWG template.
I've only tried the "acadiso.dwt" from official website, because I don't have Autocad to modify native dwg file template.
All in all it made the lines slightly better but it's still not it.
Podolsky
Ace
I recommend to get AutoCAD (there are trials available on Autodesk web-site, that can run for 30 days) and create your own DWG template file. Usually it solves a lot of problems with DWG export.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Podolsky wrote:
I recommend to get AutoCAD (there are trials available on Autodesk web-site, that can run for 30 days) and create your own DWG template file. Usually it solves a lot of problems with DWG export.
I really thought that I could achieve that in Archicad and I'm missing something in options.
Do You think that changing units to cm in Autocads template solves the problem or is it something deeper inside in the program itself?
Podolsky
Ace
I don't know. Try. I didn't have any problems with DWG before, but didn't test it in ArchiCAD 24.

If it will not solve the problem - then it might be a bug.

Look, ArchiCAD became a massive program. Of course there might be bugs as in any software.
My advice - make your own deep research of the problem until you find out how it works the best possible way. Of course it's possible constantly request from developers to fix everything (I've seen these guys - usually they have a lot of negative emotions and as workers - at the end of the day - are really bad. Maybe they are covering their unprofessional nature by complaining all the time), but if you were be able to solve most of the problems by yourself - that would make you a real professional in BIM field.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Podolsky wrote:
I don't know. Try. I didn't have any problems with DWG before, but didn't test it in ArchiCAD 24.

If it will not solve the problem - then it might be a bug.

Look, ArchiCAD became a massive program. Of course there might be bugs as in any software.
My advice - make your own deep research of the problem until you find out how it works the best possible way. Of course it's possible constantly request from developers to fix everything (I've seen these guys - usually they have a lot of negative emotions and as workers - at the end of the day - are really bad. Maybe they are covering their unprofessional nature by complaining all the time), but if you were be able to solve most of the problems by yourself - that would make you a real professional in BIM field.
This translation problem is known for many years. I've spent massive amount of hours to get things right, but without success.
Many Autocad users just get the dwg from Archicad and just rescale/change units etc. and forget about it.
But this time I wanted to put some time into it, to finally make things right, but from my own recent testing it's not possible or I'm missing something crucial, so I've made this topic...
Podolsky
Ace
Yes, I know, that this DWG translation is known for many years. Even big architectural companies in centre of London was not able to produce correct DWG.
But. Once I just opened technical documentation and read all about DWG translation. As soon as I set DWG file as a template, it solved a lot of problems. What I'm trying to say - sometimes majority of people behave as lazy idiots (even BIM managers in big companies), who avoiding even read documentation properly. I'm saying about my experience in United Kingdom - sometimes I just think - cannot believe what all these football players are doing in architecture. Maybe in another countries is different, but by another hand - England is not the last country about BIM, construction and architecture.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Figo,

Thank you very much for raising this issue with us!

Although I haven't been able to thoroughly reproduce it, I agree with Podolsky that having a template DWG for translation is a much better way to export from Archicad to AutoCAD.

I understand the struggle when creating a DWG template, but it will well worth the effort. Many problems when exchanging data between Archicad and AutoCAD can only be solved by using a template, simply because the way Archicad and AutoCAD handle linetypes, font, text size, dimensions, fills and pens are very different.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
mnguyen wrote:
Hi Figo,

Thank you very much for raising this issue with us!

Although I haven't been able to thoroughly reproduce it, I agree with Podolsky that having a template DWG for translation is a much better way to export from Archicad to AutoCAD.

I understand the struggle when creating a DWG template, but it will well worth the effort. Many problems when exchanging data between Archicad and AutoCAD can only be solved by using a template, simply because the way Archicad and AutoCAD handle linetypes, font, text size, dimensions, fills and pens are very different.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
Minh
What should I provide for thorough reproduction?

The main problem with this translation template is that I can't really find any information how exactly does it work.
What this "template" from Autocad should contain for correct lines scale (spacing)? Should it be empty file with only units set or with created lines/polylines like in my screenshot?

I've created and tested many DWG templates from Autocad (I'm aiming for universal one), and none of them works for me. I was modifying the original acadiso.dwt units.