Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC Import - Missing Objects / Unpredictability

LFBIMMAN
Booster

Hi All, 

I am trying to import an IFC from Revit (MEP) in to an Archicad 24 model (have also tried with 26) , When the IFC comes into Archicad I seem to lose parts of pipework & ductwork. 

Not only this but system colours for things like hot & cold water, Heating etc seem to be lost in the translation process. Now I understand these problems may not be directly graphisofts or archicads problems to solve, but when I import the IFC in to Solibri all of the IFC data is there for me to view.... Albeit without the system colours. 

Does anyone know if there is a setting I am missing in the translators to get the missing parts to show? 

Extra brownie points if you can fix the system colour issue also!       

We are relatively new to using Revit alongside Archicad so if anyone has any other pointers to help the translation process in either direction I would like hear them please! 

Thanks

image.png
8 REPLIES 8

What IFC Translator are you using on Import?

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX

Hi Nathan, 

We use the Revit MEP Import Translator but have experimented with others. I have posted pictures of the settings below. 

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

First test I would do would be to convert all of the geometry to Morphs, just to see if the geometry comes in that way.

NathanHildebrandt_0-1667472888639.png

With the materials, I would look to remove both of of the overrides to see if that solves the colour issue.

NathanHildebrandt_1-1667472950111.png

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
LFBIMMAN
Booster

Thanks for your suggestions. 

changed the geometry settings to convert to morphs, this did bring the pipework ductwork fittings back in!! (marked with x in the picture) although with a minor discrepancy with the pipe work as pictured.  it did make the model a fair bit slower though..... to be expected with the extra nodes from morphs. 

Removing the material Overrides seemed to change the surfaces to that blue colour from a grey. in all honesty I am not completely sure the system colour bleeding through is a problem with Archicad's translator, I think its a problem out of Revit. 

another thing I noticed was that it seems to of shifted some objects away from walls. see the comparison pics. this seems to be consistent across Revit & Solibri so I would say it is a Revit problem?

again thank you for your help so far. 

LFBIMMAN
Booster

Further update - I changed the settings to the pictures below and this has been the best translation so far. 

I think I can fix the surface colour problem, it will just require further work. I will update the post tomorrow when I crack it thank you for pointing me in the correct direction

The morph method is one I use because I don't want the attributes polluting my file. Yes, it is a very polygon-heavy approach but at least it shows the geometry can work. Then you can adjust the geometry import to get what you want in till it sits in the middle, as you suggested in your later post. 

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed

You should be able to use graphic overrides to adjust everything to a specific surface color per their layers.  that may be easier than trying to adjust how the file is being imported.

AC24 / AC26
Win10

I have never been a fan of that approach. I remember talking to the lead of IFC when they moved the ability to edit the translator from the import I wasn't happy with the change. I have ended up creating an importer for each discipline so that I can control every attribute in my file so I don't get attribute mess.

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed