cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Editing an existing List Scheme Template - HOW?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to edit an existing list template, besides the obvious but impractical procedure of opening the .TXT file in a plain text editor and directly editing the code?

I tried to find a way to edit it using the Format Wizard in the Setup List schemes - List Format window - but it only lets me create a new list template, I can't find a way to convince it to load an existing template (.txt) and edit it.
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK - I guess this one was too hard; I apologize.

I can not believe that in one of the most advanced existing architectural CAD software one has to create a simple graphical list template by selecting menu items, entering various values in pop-up menus or writing code - instead of using existing drawing tools (line, polyline...), as one would expect

And especially not that once created, the template could be either edited in a text editor or re-done from scratch....

well, perhaps in release 12 or 13....
TomWaltz
Participant
Not a lot of people use Listing. The Interactive Scheduler can do about 90% of the features and has the benefits of being WAY easier to use and allowing bi-directional editing.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz, thank you for that info. As you can probably see, I'm "advancing beginner" with ArchiCAD (and obviously in situation to learn it "from the wrong side" ) - so I'm grateful for directing me towards what's common practice and what is not. I'll stick (and get more familiar with) the Interactive Scheduler from now on.
Rick Thompson
Expert
What are you trying to do?

While Mr. Tom is a SuperPower user, and a man of great cheer, I disagree that the Interactive Scheduler can do about 90% of what is needed. I would say closer to 10%. If you are trying to quantify things, sorta what we need to do with a building, you need to develop list schemes. I would stay away from the Graphic Template unless you are looking for suicidal excuses as if might drive you over the edge. It is sad but true, even with the "advanced CAD" program we have, you most likely will need to export your list and reformat it. I export tab/text into Excel. I think the Graphic Template was developed by an ex-GS employee now working for Bush's torture squad.

This little booklet might help...
http://www.thompsonplans.com/files/TappingCalcMenu.pdf
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
What I'm trying to do is to use a zone list template (a room list - but grouped by apartments; a separate list for each floor), created by someone else (the person does not work in the studio anymore) for another project. The problem is that it creates some columns I don't want listed in the current project.

I figured out how to turn off the calculation of unwanted properties, but the empty columns are still there in the final list (thanks to the list template used - the one that I'd like to edit so that it doesn't create the third and the fifth column and that the other columns stay, shifting in their place.

I tried opening the .txt template file in the Notepad - but the description language used in the template seems not to be GDL (why ???) - and I don't know where to find the info on the language reference, syntax etc. I saw there were loads of "line" commands using absolute coordinates - stuff that reminds me of "drawing" in the earliest versions of Autobad...

From the AC11 Calculation Guide:

"1. Templates are coded in a simple programming language. It is highly recommended not to edit these files unless you are thoroughly familiar with the syntax
2. Template files cannot be edited with the Format Wizard."

So my question is "how on Earth do I get familiar with the syntax?". I apologize if it is explained somewhere in the Guide, I haven't managed to find it yet.

BTW Thank you for the booklet, I downloaded it - it seems it will be quite useful.

The interactive scheduler could be useful for the purpose, I guess - but I haven't managed yet to find out how to create sub-lists i.e. how to separate data for each apartment. For example (what the list should look like):

FIRST FLOOR LIST

APARTMENT NAME_____________AREA

APARTMENT 01
Apartment 01 Kitchen ................ 9.00 m2
Apartment 01 Bathroom ........... 7.00 m2
Apartment 01 Bedroom ............20.00 m2

APARTMENT 01 TOTAL ............ XX.XX m2

APARTMENT 02
Apartment 02 Kitchen ................ 9.52 m2
Apartment 02 Bathroom ........... 6.00 m2
Apartment 02 Bedroom ............23.00 m2

APARTMENT 02 TOTAL ............ XX.XX m2

FIRST FLOOR TOTAL ............ XXXX.XX m2

Each apartment has got its own zone category and each room has a separate, numbered zone.
TomWaltz
Participant
Rick wrote:
If you are trying to quantify things, sorta what we need to do with a building, you need to develop list schemes.
What can lists quantify that the interactive scheduler can't?
Tom Waltz
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Rashanyn wrote:
I tried opening the .txt template file in the Notepad - but the description language used in the template seems not to be GDL (why ???) - and I don't know where to find the info on the language reference, syntax etc. I saw there were loads of "line" commands using absolute coordinates - stuff that reminds me of "drawing" in the earliest versions of Autobad...

From the AC11 Calculation Guide:

"1. Templates are coded in a simple programming language. It is highly recommended not to edit these files unless you are thoroughly familiar with the syntax
2. Template files cannot be edited with the Format Wizard."

So my question is "how on Earth do I get familiar with the syntax?". I apologize if it is explained somewhere in the Guide, I haven't managed to find it yet..
Rashanyn:

It has been a long time since I worked with this format, but see the attached pdf file for some information (the guide is nearly 10 years old). With this guide and some backwards engineering of some existing templates I was able to create my own schedules, which I still use today with ArchiCAD 11. I don't know if this will work for what you are trying to achieve. As others have noted, list templates are in the past, the Interactive Scheduler is the future, so I don't expect much support from Graphisoft for this.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David Maudlin, thank you - exactly what I was looking for.
Rick Thompson
Expert
TomWaltz wrote:
What can lists quantify that the interactive scheduler can't?
I would love to be wrong on this. Here is a sample list I do. It is a typical list for home building. If this could be done with the Interactive Scheduler i would love it. One nice thing I can do with listing is take the roof framing and have it round up to the nearest even foot for lumber reference. I didn't figure that out, but had someone write a script that goes into the lumber package. (I think he was one of the GS people who worked on that way back).

If you think IS can do this I would try it again, but in the past I could not, but that was awhile back. For the most part everything is grouped by layers.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display