Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Export to DWG issue

OBERMEYER
Booster

Is it possible to export a View to a *.dwg with Translator settings in Publisher? We're able to export a Layout successfully but for some reason not a View. We would prefer only the 'model space' information to be exported, not the sheet information such as title-block, etc.

I imagine we might create a separate Sheet Set just without only the View information we want on the Layouts but more than anything just want to understand Translator.

Also, should there be any concern the origin point of our plan views will not be the same if we publish Layouts as opposed to Views. Trying to understand the logic here, and sadly, or happily, we don't have AutoCAD to test the results!
Andrew Obermeyer | Architect

OBERMEYER Architecture

www.obermeyer.la

AC 26 Mac M1
9 REPLIES 9
Hello OBERMEYER,
Is it possible to export a View to a *.dwg with Translator settings in Publisher?
Of course it is possible and easy to do.

I wonder about your DWG translator parameters and your view settings.

"Not Applicable"
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
OBERMEYER
Booster
Good point, Christopher, and thank you for replying.

That is odd, perhaps displaying settings of a previous view. Opening the View shows the corrects View Settings. So, good eye, but that does not appear to be the problem.

OBERMEYER Architecture

www.obermeyer.la

AC 26 Mac M1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried to export a view indivually (selected item only) ? does it work ?
OBERMEYER
Booster
Hi, Yes, that is what we did in the screenshot in my previous post. Just one View selected. Same error and it occurs regardless of which View we try.

OBERMEYER Architecture

www.obermeyer.la

AC 26 Mac M1
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for the question and I am very sorry about the issue!

After looking at the description, my first hunch was the export path was too long, or you do not have write permission to that location. Have you tried exporting into another shorter-path location (like directly to C drive)?

If this does not help, I would like to have a look at the file for further checking. Please let me know if you need a secure place to upload the file.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

OBERMEYER
Booster
Thanks, Minh.

I'll test your suggestion. I had a suspicion it might be the length of the file path/name.

In the meantime, I could use a bit more guidance as to what we should be expecting.

Saving a view is possible, correct? Does the saved view include information we might have drafted beyond the limits of the view boundary? If so, what dictates the view boundary? Saving a position on the screen as a view or setting the view boundary on a layout? In both cases, we might prefer if the exported file does not include the information beyond the limits of the view. Is this possible, or is the entire 'model space' shown regardless of how the view is saved or cropped?

Who cares? We often draft beyond the 'view boundary' or 'paper space' and would prefer those 'notes' or drawings are not shared in the export since they might be a work in progress.

The desire for a 'clean' drawing with nothing outside the 'view boundary' is what is driving our efforts here.

Also, are all drawings saved to the same origin regardless of view or layout export? One of our consultants had complained that our plans were each at random locations in 'model space'.

AO

OBERMEYER Architecture

www.obermeyer.la

AC 26 Mac M1
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the questions!

Saving a view to DWG is possible, yes!
When you save a view, all of its visible content will be exported to DWG. To limit what you want to export, draw a Marquee around that area and Archicad will ask you to save the content of the Marquee Area or Entire Drawing. But this only applies to a single view only. If you want to export multiple views with cropped content, dropping them into layouts is the way. I'm not sure if there is any other workflow, so let me ask my colleagues about this.

Regarding the drawings' position in Model space, I have no explanation, unfortunately! Let me ask my colleagues about this also.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Andrew,

So I got an explanation from my colleagues about drawings placing next to each other in Model Space:
The purpose is to be able to replicate the Archicad layouts in the Paper Spaces
Multiple layouts are recreated in multiple Paper Spaces, but only one Model Space to place elements to. In this case, the Model Space is only a "technical side-by-side data container" for the viewports' shown content, just like the Model itself in Archicad.

I hope my answer is clear enough. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask me again!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
@mnguyen Thank you for the break down.
I don't think exporting a View was every broken down. Can only export established Sheet and views are Xref in a sub folder. sounds great, but not the way id like to go about it.