cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC Custom Property Set Configuration File

Matthew Johnson
Advocate
In preparing a pilot study for IFC use in our office I have been trying to complete a round trip IFC conversion. I.e.
ArchiCAD12 ----->IFC 2x3(viewed in Solibri) ------>ArchiCAD12
The conversion from ArchiCAD to IFC appears to work fine in that the IFC file viewed in Solibri looks like the original, very simple, building.

However, when I try to bring the IFC file back into a new ArchiCAD file windows don't survive the transfer and some composite profile walls swap their reference lines and so sit outside the building!

I am guessing that the lack of window data has something to do with the IFC Custom Property Set Configuration file. Creating this file (or appending to it) seems to be a very slow and drawn out process. Is there some way I can get the configuration file to automatically take all of the properties from the library parts used in the project?

The current method of offering all of the properties for all of the parts in the library even if they are not used and then requiring the user to select them each individually is cumbersome. It also makes it very hard to add other properties later without having to redo the whole selection.
Matthew Johnson - POWE Architects
AC4.5 --> AC27 & Revit 2019 --> 2023
Asus Zenbook Pro 16x i9-13900H w/ Nvidia RTX 4070 4K dual, Windows 11 64bit
I'd rather be sailing.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why do you need to round trip the files? Do you really have a specific requirement for this? I have been doing lots of BIM coordination with all manner of programs and have yet to have a need for round trip translation.
Matthew Johnson
Advocate
I'm using the round trip to confirm the output of the IFC format. Before I go trying to share the BIM with others I felt it was important to be able to share it with myself...isn't is a big ask to expect someone else to be able to open a file format if you can't open it properly yourself?

I'm currently working with Graphisoft Australia and CadimageTools on the problem and between us it has been identified as a problem with the reveal settings on the Door and Window Builder windows. I'll post an update once we find a solution to that.

The other part of my question still remains however...is there a better way of setting up and editing the IFC Custom Property Set Configuration File? I'd really like to hear from anyone involved with either using the Configuration Files (or even better from someone from Graphisoft responsible for the creation of the process). Can there be a better way of adding new properties to an existing Configuration File?
I'd rather be sailing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe your problem with flipped profiles is common. The last post by Mats on this thread says updating to the latest version of IFC may help -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=146690
Matthew Johnson
Advocate
Peter, thanks for the tip. I found Mat's other thread after I posted the original question and it did fix the flipped profiles.
Unfortunately the other issues persist.
I'd rather be sailing.