Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Length Units in the Component Database

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am actually trying to use the quantity calculation features on some large projects and have run into a snag I can't figure out.

Creating linear components in the database I have set the unit to lineal feet and the Reference Quantity to "Length". I would assume that it would calculate the quantities per lineal foot but instead its interpreting the values as per lineal inch and I am getting 12 times the amount that it should be.

I realize that I can force it to work by setting my quantities per inch but this offends my sense of what is good and proper (0.0625 studs per lineal inch? yuck!) and I would really like to make it right. Unfortunately the manual seems to be mum on the subject.

Anybody know how to set the Reference Quantity units?

BTW: I have Eric Wilk's excellent book on the subject unfortunately it is in a box in the garage up at the country house (we just moved) so I can't look this up easily.
15 REPLIES 15
Karl Ottenstein
Wrathchild,

This is perhaps slightly off topic, but this old post might be of interest regarding property scripts:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3814#3814

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Wrathchild,

This is perhaps slightly off topic, but this old post might be of interest regarding property scripts:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3814#3814

Cheers,
Karl
I'll take a look at that link. I think my problem was that I was using a wall shipped with AC that had a bunch of script already in it. Then I added components and was trying to make the two work together......I was making it harder than it needed to be because apparently the script in the wall I was using was sorta standalone and wasn't meant to go with added components. At any rate, I took all that script out and after futzing around with some of the quantity numbers in the database I'm getting the results I want.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I see where the .03 for 4x8 sheets comes from too.
Rick Thompson
Expert
They are all just components.. nothing under Property Script (it's blank). All I have ever done is under Components, select "New">>> Then "Link to Database Item"... done. The .03 is the 'Quantity" factor that is defined in the Database. I used what was default (for that one anyway) and it does work. An 8' interior wall 9' hight yields 4.466 sheets. I try to not understand too much, as long as it works.
Picture 5.png
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Karl Ottenstein
Rick wrote:
I try to not understand too much, as long as it works.
That's got to be a T-shirt! 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
I try to not understand too much, as long as it works.
Lucky man! I like your philosophy. 🙂