Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Making mesh from map and text values (imported from dwg)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

I've been using archicad since the beginning of my studies,
so It's 4 years by now. I'm using ver. 15.

Actually I'm working on terrain model for my graduation project.

Long story's short:
I got map imported from DWG. I already organized layers and isolated points heigth (there are actually text with heigth value only - no geometric points)
(also map doesn't contain height lines).
As for now, I can create a mesh, then draw some lines, after that select each one separately and manually enter desired Z-level for every point.
Problem is, the number of points is 1860 and nobody sane would undertake this.

Question:
Is there a way to automatically add points to mesh from location of the text fields? Furthermore, is there a way to generate point Z-level from the value of number, and make whole geometry from text itself?

I don't have any experience with Surveyors design plugin. Maybe there's a way.

Practically:
It would greatly speed workaday modeling basis.

Looking forward to any experience and ideas,
they would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Update:

I'm doing some reserches:

I found some script for Rhino. You just load 2D mapped DWG text to Rhino, then use the script which read the text value, then adds a point to each text box, and then sets the point in z-value written in text. Great thing, but I got some problems atm, with the script doesn't want to elevate points.

Is there possibility to write script like that for Archicad? Personally I'm no script writter, but I think many people would be very greatful for the time and work it would save them.

The other think is to generate the mesh from those points in space, but this should be less of a problem.
36 REPLIES 36
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Building on the code sinceV6 supplied, I have created a library part that makes reading the txt file easier. There are parameters for choosing between space, tab and return delimiters, choosing the txt file unit, and pen, font and surface settings. This object uses the Coordinate Dimension 18 object and is for AC 18.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is great. Is it possible to make this object to place the original objects? If it can be done, then we can use this to make schedules of the coordinates. Plus it can be used to place trees. There was an object called "object composer" in objects online, I found this in another thread. You could choose some objects from the library and it would scatter these objects randomly. A combination of these two objects would be perfect.
sinceV6
Advocate
Hello.

That's nice. I did add a couple of parameters (one of them for the separator option) to the object, but never got around to update the code.

@David.-
Just asking... why repeat all the code in 2D and 3D? Is there a reason? I would keep the txt reading functions in the master, and then just call the marker in each script.
Also... I'm seeing errors because the master included both 2D and 3D transformations... 2D shows error at line 67 where there's and ADD (not ADD2) command.

Great parameter consideration additions! It sure makes the code more useful.

@ispyridis.-
Like I said, creating such an object, that calls other objects, just places a single instance. The values you need are already calculated and stored in an array inside the object.
I did some research and tests as per your PMs. I think it would be very tricky to come up with a solution for this unless GS adds some kind of support to schedule array parameter values. On the other hand... the most straightforward and efficient solution is to use the txt file you already have in a spreadsheet editor.

I understand that you would like to have the schedules inside AC generated from the object, but for what purpose? Just to place them in a layout? To export them? Both can be done by linking the data from the TXT file to a spreadsheet. Exporting the AC schedule would just be redundant.

Best regards.
Anonymous
Not applicable
@ sinceV6

As by the law in my country the site surveying drawing has to display a table with the coordinates of the piece of land of interest plus a table with the lengths of the corresponding boundaries. I use the coordinate object to schedule the coordinates on a table and 3rd dimension object not the 3d dimension there are two of them in bimcomponents, the first one can give you its length in schedules.

So this object is better for me for placing trees. Although someone still would like to have the ability to schedule the trees too.

Best regards.
sinceV6
Advocate
ispyridis wrote:
@ sinceV6

As by the law in my country the site surveying drawing has to display a table with the coordinates of the piece of land of interest plus a table with the lengths of the corresponding boundaries. I use the coordinate object to schedule the coordinates on a table and 3rd dimension object not the 3d dimension there are two of them in bimcomponents, the first one can give you its length in schedules.

So this object is better for me for placing trees. Although someone still would like to have the ability to schedule the trees too.

Best regards.
I understand. That was my assumption.

What I'm talking about is using the TXT file as what it is: the source of information. The TXT file can be used in both a spreadsheet (to be used as the schedule) and to generate the object that "displays" the coordinates information (but not the schedule). You'd only need to format the coordinate info in the spreadsheet (in which a lot of things can be done with information that would be a pain to do in AC), export to PDF and place that; because I don't see an easy way to schedule the values in the arrays. This limitation has made me stop development of a property line library part that would give lot point coordinates, interior angles and boundary length automatically using the second version of the dynamic polyline object.

Using the TXT file to generate the object and then the object to generate the schedule might yield a more simplistic and automated approach, but there would be some limitations as well.

Best regards.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
sinceV6 wrote:
@David.-
Just asking... why repeat all the code in 2D and 3D? Is there a reason? I would keep the txt reading functions in the master, and then just call the marker in each script.
I was going for expediency over elegance: just trying to solve the delimiter and scaling issues quickly, then I got into the other parameters... Someone could spend some time cleaning up the scripts.
sinceV6 wrote:
Also... I'm seeing errors because the master included both 2D and 3D transformations... 2D shows error at line 67 where there's and ADD (not ADD2) command.
I am not getting the error messages, but can see where they could come from.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
After SinceV6 suggested to me I came in contact with Jeroen de Bruin from Masterscript. He pointed out, the following Link:

http://www.kubusinfo.nl/Support/ArchiCAD/Add-ons

Point Creator is really what we need. Is an add on that places individual instances of a coordinate object, reading from a txt file with (P X Y Z) format.
The object that it reads is in the folder where the apx addon is installed and is named "measure point" it has to be loaded with the library manager. After you place a set of points you can select them all or some of them and change them to other objects. And of course you can make interactive schedules.
It runs on AC17.