Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Objective won't load in OSX Leopard?

Thomas Holm
Booster
I just upgraded from OSX 10.4.11 to 10.5.2. Everything works fine, printing is much improved, etc except one thing:

Archicad refuses to load Objective. I've got Objective 11 2.0.2. Worked fine previously, but not in Leopard. I changed the file permissions on the Objective folder and its contents to full R/W for All, but it doesn't help. Should I change name of the Objective.bundle to Objective.apx? Or is it some other known issue?

This is Archicad11 Int and Swe with hotfix 1200.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
14 REPLIES 14
Eduardo Rolon
Do you have the infamous "unknown user" when you do a command+I?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Thomas Holm
Booster
ejrolon wrote:
command+I?
Do it on what?
Eduardo Rolon
On any folder or file.

Mac OS X 10.5: Finder may restart when trying to change file permissions

Last Modified on: December 10, 2007
Article: 307128

Issue or symptom

When trying to change file permissions in a Finder Get Info window, the Finder itself may restart after the "+" button is clicked.
This issue can affect accounts that were migrated from Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Products affected
▪ Mac OS X 10.5
Solution
1. Log in as an administrator.
2. Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities).
3. Type the following commands, each on a single line and followed by Return (enter an admin password when prompted):

sudo dscl . create /Groups/username GroupMembership username

sudo dscl . change /Groups/username RecordName username _username

Replace the italicized "username" with your account username (which is also the name of the user's Home folder, in the Users folder). Remember to include the underscore "_" before your user name in the second command.
If you have more than one account on the computer affected by this issue, you should run these two commands again for each account, substituting with the appropriate user name each time.

This document will be updated as more information becomes available.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Thomas Holm
Booster
Thanks Eduardo,

but I don't have that precise issue (the Finder doesn't crash). However I've found I have other issues - some folders I can't access without typing in my password first. Seems absurd if I've just created that folder myself.

And in the GetInfo window, some folders/files show an (unknown) account in addition to myself (the owner) and everyone.
I can live with that.

More serious is that I just found out that Fiery Remote Scan doesn't work - I can't retrieve scans from our network scanner. This is a problem!

I didn't know about this. I haven't noticed there are permissions issues when you migrate to Leopard. I used the "Archive and install" with "preserve settings" option. I thought this would avoid such issues, instead of the standard "upgrade" option. To do a blank new install and then transfer all accounts and data is so much work...

I still have the option to go back to Tiger, I did a full bootable SuperDuper backup yesterday. Do you recommend that?
Eduardo Rolon
I am trying to ind the original posts at

discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=235

AFAIK the origin of the unknown user has to do with how 10.4 handled users were a user's group was also the users name. This changed in 10.5 were an user's group is not the same name. For example

In 10.4 when you created an user "1" his group was "1"
In 10.5 that changed so group "1" becomes "unknown".

Previous to the 10.5.2 patch it used to crash the finder and it happens even with an archive an install. Basically if you bring a 10.4 user folder you might get the "unknown" user back. Therefore it has caused a lot of grief since nobody knows what gets screwed beyond the finder crash, thus "MAYBE" your Fiery scan might be affected and maybe Dwight's and Matthew's on this link.

archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=115813#115813

Here's the link to Apple's KB

docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307128

Anyway since you have a SD clone you can't lose by trying the fix. HTH.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Thomas wrote:
I just upgraded from OSX 10.4.11 to 10.5.2. Everything works fine, printing is much improved, etc except one thing:

Archicad refuses to load Objective. I've got Objective 11 2.0.2. Worked fine previously, but not in Leopard. I changed the file permissions on the Objective folder and its contents to full R/W for All, but it doesn't help. Should I change name of the Objective.bundle to Objective.apx? Or is it some other known issue?

This is Archicad11 Int and Swe with hotfix 1200.
Hi Thomas,

Do you have OBJECTiVE 2.02 or the latest version 2.12? By the way, you can contact us directly if you have problems like this. For the record, OBJECTiVE has been tested with this configuration without problems.
Ralph Wessel BArch
jespizua
Newcomer
I´m using objective with the same system as you and no problem here.
osx 10.14 | archicad 22 | cinema4d 18 |
Thomas Holm
Booster
jespizua wrote:
I´m using objective with the same system as you and no problem here.
Then you'd better change your signature
Thomas Holm
Booster
Ralph wrote:
Do you have OBJECTiVE 2.02 or the latest version 2.12? By the way, you can contact us directly if you have problems like this. For the record, OBJECTiVE has been tested with this configuration without problems.
Thanks Ralph, I posted here instead of contacting you because I had a hunch something like the permissions issue, not related to Objective, would be the culprit. I have 2.02 as I posted.

I must say I'm really confused. This permissions issue should be very common if the descriptions in Apple's forums are correct. Yet I've never heard of it. I can't even remember having seen it at Maxfixit, a site that's a real doom predictor these days. And even if it affects user space, I have no idea why it would prevent applications from running.