Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Read a total from an Element Schedule

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I have a custom object (lets call it "OBJ1") that changes some parameters when it is placed within a certain area. One of these parameters is called "status"; when the object is placed in the designated area, the "status" parameter changes to "ACTIVE".

Then I have a element schedule which i have set to list objects with the "library part name" = "OBJ1" and with "status" = "ACTIVE". and it adds a total at the bottom, giving a total count of all the "ACTIVE" OBJ1's.

What I want is that total count, not the rest of the schedule, and to display it in a text box on the drawing/layout etc.

Using the ElementID Manager/Scheduler in any way to assign sequential numbers to the OBJ1's is not an option, because this object is being written for people who do not want any additional clicks in their workflow (not even 1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to get the TOTAL from the bottom of the schedule in anyway? I've tried to make a GDL object to read the schedule, but I haven't gotten anywhere with that.
Is it possible to set up a text label that will display this number?
Thanks in advance.
Barry Kelly
You could display the schedule on the layout and crop it to show just the total.
However you would have to make sure that you are 'merging uniform items' and that you are not listing unique values so the total always stays in the same place (i.e. the schedule does not change size).

Other than that you would have to do something like have your objects send a count to an external text file.
Another object cold read this text file and display a total that you can show on your layouts.
Not 100% live though as you have to rebuild and regenerate to ensure the count is up to date.

It is a shame Graphisoft has killed of GLOB_USER variables as you could have used those and they would have been 100% live.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
I have merged your duplicate posts.
No need to post more than once on the same topic.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the response.
I actually tried to do what you are suggesting with the list, but i couldn't get the total to stay in one place, ill have to try again to merge the thingos.

With the text file, i am currently looking into this. I have successfully written and read a file, but cannot save the values anywhere:
the below code results in just the message box with the value of value02. I do not get any value in parameters "v1" and "v3" (i have tried multiple types trying to get it to work.)

ch1=OPEN("TEXT","Mytextfile.txt","SEPARATOR='\t',MODE=RO")
n=INPUT(ch1,1,1,value01, value02, value03, value04, value05)
i = 1 
while n > 2 do
	v1 = value01
	print value02
        parameters v3 = value03

i = i+1
    n=INPUT(ch1,i,1,value01, value02, value03, value04, value05)
endwhile 

CLOSE (ch1)
any ideas? looks like this may be something i'll need for another part of this library.
sinceV6
Advocate
Hello.

Once you place the schedule in a layout, you can set the anchor point to the bottom right corner. If your grand total is your last row/column (or you can make a separate schedule that has the total at the end), you could change some of the criteria in the schedule options or create or remove objects (adding or removing scheduled rows), but your total should remain in the same place: schedule will grow upwards and to the left, so you can crop just to the grand total value.

Best regards.