Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

nVidia Omniverse + Archicad

Karol Argasinski
Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Does anyone know, what it is and how end user can benefit from that? Is it something like GeforceNOW, but instead for games it is for AEC industry?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/omniverse/architecture-engineering-construction/

Let's share some thoughts!

Best,
Karol
OPENBIM does works!
ArchiCAD 22/23/24/25/26/27 INT &POL

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 128GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3070, Windows 11 Pro
MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB
http://www.bimfaktoria.pl/
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Nvidia Omniverse is a collaboration and visualization platform, which is currently in the open beta stage.
It is using the USD (Universal Scene Description) open-source file format. It will have these Connector plugins for various applications (currently Revit, Rhino, SketchUp, and Archicad all have it). Through these Connectors, applications can send their data to a central database for collaboration and physically accurate visualization (AFAIK). I am not sure about this, but I think the plan is for the data exchange to be bi-directional, so any data synced to the Nvidia server gets synced to all connected applications. I don't know if it is true, would it mean that it could become a rival to federated models or to IFC file exchange. This is not clear to me at this moment.
The database and the live sync are handled by a server called Nucleus. I think it runs on Nvidia hardware (GPUs).
Nvidia also announced Omniverse Enterprise, which, for a team of 25, costs $25K for the Nucleus server (mandatory) and $1,800 per user per year. So it is not going to be a cheap solution. It will become available in the summer.

So, in summary, I can imagine a whole ecosystem will be built around Omniverse.

It seems to me that both Nvidia (with Omniverse) and Epic Games (with Unreal Engine) are going after the AEC collaboration and visualization market.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Gorazd
Booster
I have tried to test it, but cant figure out, how to install archicad exchange addon. It says installed, but there is no menu in archicad 24
------

Gorazd Rajh

AC 25, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
Barry Kelly
Gorazd wrote:
I have tried to test it, but cant figure out, how to install archicad exchange addon. It says installed, but there is no menu in archicad 24

I have not tried installing this, but have you looked in the Work Environment to see if there are any new Omniverse commands/menus that you can add yourself?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Gorazd
Booster
No new commands in WE. Installation has finished successfully, but there is no menu.
------

Gorazd Rajh

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
A Palette or a Toolbar maybe?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/on-demand/session/omniverse2020-om1267/

This shows Revit in combination with some other software, but I think it demonstrates the intended benefits for AEC software.

It looks flashy, but I'm wondering about the amount of instances over the course of a project where you would have several disciplines working on one project at the exact same time.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gorazd wrote:

Hello! I was wondering the same and I just discover that to install the connector, you have to do it from the launcher, go to the exchange menu, and there you will see a connector menu, just next to apps ones. Then you will need to follow the instructions to make it work I'll leave a link.

https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/prod_launcher/prod_launcher/overview.html

I hope this helps

Regards.
Gorazd
Booster
Uninstalled and installed again. It says all is good, but there is no menu, toolbar, command,... Anyone else got it to work?
------

Gorazd Rajh

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same issue! Installed the AC connector from the Omniverse Launcher and no menu option in ARCHICAD, no toolbar, palette or WE setting either. Nvidia has no support other than an empty forum topic. Could anyone make this work?