BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 14 Mac addition not 64-bit yet / true or false

rm
Advisor
Im confused, I just read the AC 14 brochure on GS website, and it reads "Boost your BIM performance with multiprocessor support, 64-bit BIM Server support on both Windows and Macintosh and 64-bit support on Windows."

So 64-bit is ONLY available for the MAC OS server? What the heck, I thought AC 14 was supposed to be 64-bit support for the Mac as well? Macs are using the same Intel processors as Window machines these days.

Mac version AC users, always a bridesmaid, never the bride!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems that they just couldn't get the 64 bit Mac support done in time for the 14 release.

There is an announcement of an early test version here.

It is not recommended for production but I am using it for some one off rendering and so far so good.
rm
Advisor
Thanks Mathew,

I guess I will wait for AC15, you know - so it will be on par with AC14 Windows version
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Just mind you that 64bit will not make AC necessarily faster. Also AC itself will occupy more memory as it uses 64bit pointers and code adjustments to 64bit. In other words under 64bit AC communication with processes is more 'wordy'.

Only benefit you will get is possibility to use more memory than 4GB.
::rk
rm
Advisor
Hey Rob,

what little I know about 64-bit processing is that it "grabs" and processes input from each action on the computer much faster than a 32-bit path. Consequently, generating a complex model view and or building section should be much faster on a 64-bit application than a 32-bit.

But what the heck do I know - I design buildings not computers or software.

I guess part of the rub here is while I recognize GS probably has twice the Windows based clients over Mac based....the application started on the Mac, was there by itself until I believe version 6 and now it seems over and over the Mac clients get to ride the back of the bus when it comes to feature sets.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Karl Ottenstein
rm wrote:
I guess part of the rub here is while I recognize GS probably has twice the Windows based clients over Mac based....the application started on the Mac, was there by itself until I believe version 6 and now it seems over and over the Mac clients get to ride the back of the bus when it comes to feature sets.
Hi Robert,

Not your fault for not "living" on this forum - but this issue was talked to death a year or two ago. So, you're coming to the party talking about something that is ancient history to most of us.

In the long threads of complaints and responses from Graphisoft, including some info posted on their web site and Wiki, they explained that this is not their fault, but that of Apple and it impacted not just Graphisoft but almost every other major software manufacturer with a large, established code base.

The short story is that Apple supported two libraries (API) to write software for the Mac: Carbon and Cocoa. They began implementing 64 bit versions of both and assured developers that both would be supported - so developers with existing Carbon code (Graphisoft, Adobe, etc) simply began migrating to 64 bit Carbon. Then, Apple changed their mind and dropped 64 bit Carbon like a rock. Everyone was required to switch to Cocoa - which meant different system calls and switching programming languages for parts of the interface (from C++ to Apple's Objective C). HUGE work. Adobe only just now, with CS5, released a mostly 64 bit suite.

Graphisoft has released a completely 64 bit Cocoa BIM Server with 14. They have released - via the thread that Rob gave - a 64 bit preview version of 14. And, 14 itself has had all dialogs / user interface elements completely reprogrammed with Cocoa - which has several advantages talked about in other threads. There is every reason to expect that 15 will be completely 64 bit.

As Rob points out, there is no reason to anticipate any huge speed improvement from 64 bit, although certain parts will be faster. The main thing is that much more memory can be addressed, and so much larger models can be accommodated. For years, Mac OS has been able to address more memory than Windows in 32 bit as it is. For more info than you probably care about, see this:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/64-bit

The short story: if you are getting your work done, then 64 bit really doesn't matter.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rm
Advisor
Karl,

Thanks for that very thorough explanation! Your right, I don't live here, I started a new business 2 years ago so I have not visited the forum lately. I guess I should have spent a little time searching before posting....my bad.

I have a fairly large school project I am modeling and I am shaking some of the cobwebs loose in AC brain. I probably will be posting questions / comments for a while that most vets here will read as "so yesterday" of an issue.

I hope I don't embarrass myself too much
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Karl Ottenstein
No worries, Robert. It has been good to see you back here. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
As Karl has mentioned, the 64 vs 32 bit subject is old news. So is the multi-core and "speed" subject, ...I think.

(I don't live here either, nor have I been doing much production work 'til this recent Recession, so I'm very cold on AC and am force feeding myself on digital drafting again, after a number of years.)

As I'm in the market for a new Mac, and see the offerings for up to 12 cores, I would like a general update on the matter. And some advice.

Does AC benefit by the multi-cores and more RAM, now that the world is 64 bit? Surely AC 15 will make Mac owners happy in this regard, ...right?

-JS
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The AC help files usually contain the info about where performance improved.
I have just quickly collected what is there:

AC12:
Multi-core processor support. With ArchiCAD 12, multi-core
processors becomes the recommended and standard platform
for higher performance computing. Areas that will see
noticeable improvement include navigation and 3D model
generation including sections and shadow casting.

Lightworks rendering also utilizes multiple processor cores.
(Just don't set antialiasing to "Best").

AC13:
Performance of TW2 has been improved dramatically over TW1.

AC14:
Faster Generation of Door/Window Schedules
Faster Library Reload
Faster IFC Handling

Actually, for AC13 and AC14 it doesn't say how much of these improvements are due to multiprocessor support so I don't know.

With 64-bit you will use practically as much memory as you want.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!