BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Controlling beam intersections

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm trying to arrange two complex profile beam elements without having the materials overlap each other. I would like them to touch without connecting.

I have created a gutter+fascia profile (steel+timber) and a fascia (timber) profile without gutter. As I mentioned the profiles were assigned as beams and wherever the two elements meet the gutter can be seen overlapping the individual fascia element.

I have changed the junction order of the individual fascia to have a higher priority, although there has been no change to the connection. It seems the only way I can prevent them from overlapping is to avoid them touching. Which is fine for 1:100 elevations as the small gap can't be seen. However I'm sure there is something simple I'm missing. Is this a case of changing material/intersection priorities? Thanks for any feedback.

beam intersection 3.jpg
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

beam intersection 1.png
Anonymous
Not applicable

beam intersection 2.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
?
Anonymous
Not applicable
??
runxel
Legend
My guess is that the steel has a greater intersection priority.
Make another BMAT with a lower one than the timber for the gutter. It should work then.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Barry Kelly
The timber fascia needs to have a building material that is stronger than the gutter and fascia building materials.
Or you could try moving the reference line position of the fascia to the gutter side.
Or manually trim the gutter fascia so it doesn't overlap (select in plan and CTRL click on the inside edge of the fascia).
Or place them in different layers and ensure they have different intersection priority numbers.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!